Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car died

ThunderVZ0410

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Ute Thunder S
So today when I was reverse parking my car the engine decided to shut off, it didn't starve or choke just went dead. I can still turn the key to accessories and use radio, Windows and the dash still lights up. When I try to turn it over nothing happens. Have checked fuses and all seem fine, any ideas?

ThunderVZ0410

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Ute Thunder S
Update: I did an oil change last weekend as well, and have read that the 'service vehicle soon' message is usually the oil pressure sensor, would this cause the car to shut off and not be able to turn back on?

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Update: I did an oil change last weekend as well, and have read that the 'service vehicle soon' message is usually the oil pressure sensor, would this cause the car to shut off and not be able to turn back on?

Had a similar problem with the old VZ, locksmith changed the screws in the key pad and all fixed.
Not saying this is your problem but for 2 screws, what have you got to lose.
I changed the oil pressure switch in that VZ as well but not at the same time, it was a long time before the key pad played up.
Do you have another key and pad, if so try it.

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
stupid question time. did you replace the sump plug? did you refill the motor with new oil? did you check the oil level after the test drive? does the starter still turn the motor over? I hope your problem is the 2 screws in the key head. easy fix.

ThunderVZ0410

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Ute Thunder S
I cleaned and used same sump plug, I did refill the motor with Castrol Edge 5W-30 and i used HPR 5W-30 last oil change. oil level was topped up after test drive and nothing happens at all when i turn key (no crank or anything)

timmy201

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon
Not something silly like trying to start it in drive or reverse if an auto?

ThunderVZ0410

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Ute Thunder S
Update: Was just a blown fuse in no.15 inside of the car, will have to get the short located

Silverbird

(Blake)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Station Wagon
Good info appreciate the update - nice to have a definitive solution. What circuit does fuse 15 look after for future reference?