Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacing vz alloytec - seized

kpnewey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon
Appreciate any thoughts/opinions on options re replacing alloytec (hbh). As per the heading I have a seized alloytec (I believe due to sludge blockage) in a 2006 vz wagon. Car is not worth a lot running let alone with no motor so am investigating options to get back on the road. I intend to replace motor myself, though I understand it's not a trivial exercise, so perhaps that idea may change. Either way I need to track down a replacement motor. Other than an exact replacement (hbh) either from wreckers or salvage auction (whole car) is there an option to replace the engine with better model ie from a VE perhaps, and if so is it just the ecu I need? And further how would I know if the replacement motor is OK - ie not sludged, faulty timing chains etc. Cost is an issue. Would it be better to get the wreckers to replace it (~$2000) and get the 1/2/3 mth warranty?

Appreciate any opinions.

Ken.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Our VS Ecomoo Berlina died while I was giving it a bit of a country run, after it not having had any highway usage for over a year ... ticking noises started & quickly got worse when I had nowhere to pull over which wouldn't have had me punted off the edge of a cliff or rammed by a rapidly-hurtling 4WD (heading down a mountain pass). Probably would've cleared if I'd switched the engine off & coasted in neutral then switched it back on, but the idea of not having any brakes was REALLY scary just there ... *sigh* the things you know in hindsight.

Anyway, it was worth less than yours, and we still decided to resurrect it with a used engine. Reasoning was that we were probably going to get a new car within 18 months, so the cost was less than 18 month's worth of depreciation if we brought the purchase forward; and my better half was quite attached to the car & was OS feeling homesick at the time (we'd had it 10 years, since getting it in pristine condition at 10yrs/100k off my uncle).
The used engine was still going fine 18 months later when we gave the car to the Salvos (they were a bit surprised to get a car with a perfect interior & near-perfect paint - but it would've cost more if we'd traded it than just giving it away, and I wasn't going through all the private-sale pain for a $500 car!).

So ... yeah, you have a value-equation to make.
Among the things to consider would be:
(*) can you afford the ~$2k at this point in time, but not afford the ~$8k a good replacement would seem to cost?
(*) what's the car currently worth (if it hadn't blown an engine)? [be aware that if you stick the engine in it, it'll be worth slightly less as it's now missing a service history]
(*) how good is the rest of it - how good is paint, interior, brakes, suspension, steering, tyres - how much do you estimate upcoming maintenance to be?
(*) do you have any attachment to it - do you car if you crush it?

There are probably others, but list everything out, it should help making the decision a clearer process.

kpnewey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon
Appreciate the quick reply.

I would imagine the car prior to engine failing was worth around $3500 - it is getting to the stage where a few things should be looked at, 215000k's worth of use. No attachment other than needed (used by wife and children). Main issue is cost to replace the car vs cost to repair. If the engine had serious timing chain issue instead of complete failure I would have done the repair myself and perhaps been out of pocket $1000. But needing a replacement engine changes the equation somewhat. I guess if I can get a replacement engine for around $1000 (assuming in good condition) and install myself with associated costs I would go down that path. Not a lot of hbh's about hence reference to VE. I may need to bite the bullet and replace vehicle completely and accept its now only worth its scrap value.

Cheers

kpnewey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon
To the point (as it may be unclear what I'm asking), can I put a later model alloytec (early VE) in as a replacement assuming I also include the ecu? Or should I stick with the HBH? There are more options available if I can go with early VE alloytec, or 2006 vz other than HBH.

Cheers