Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Slow and very sluggish, any ideas???

spencer983

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Holden VX Commodore Executive
Hey all, sorry if this is a repeated thread I couldn't find anything that helped me.

I have a 2004 manual VZ Ute (175kw model), a few days ago I noticed a rattling in the engine, so I checked the oil and it was very low. Decided to drain it all and put some good oil back in for the first time since I brought it (a few months ago). Performance seemed to go up and it ran a lot smoother and quieter, although the lifter noise(?) was still there. SO then yesterday while I was driving home from work it seem a little sluggish, after I got home I had a look over it, revs were good it seemed fine as though I was imagining it.

Then today on my way back from the bank, It was suddenly running very rough at idle and seemed as if it was struggling to get going when I put my foot down, revs were up but it just felt as if no power was getting to the back wheels.

I'm thinking maybe replace the plugs, leads, coil and if that's still happening maybe there's a vacuum leak or a problem with the MAP or something. Before I go blowing money on it I just wanna get a few other opinions what you lads might think it is, any input is much appreciated.

Thank you! :beer chug:

steveyc

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ V6 wagon
Does the check engine lght pop up when rattling? Clean your MAF, replace coils and plugs, check if you need a new air filter. Just give it a good service and see what that does.

MattK

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ V6
Check you vacuum hoses and connections ...
A leak will cause this exact issue

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Mine was doing this recently and it was because of the timing chain.
It was runnings slow and sluggish for months before the engine light started coming on.

The above advice is solid, doing those things are not hard.
Mace have some coil sets for around $170. Though I'd only be replacing those if there was actually an identifiable problem.
Spark plugs can make some difference and should be replaced around every 80000-100000 k's.
Pay the extra and get good ones. NGK Iridium's or Platinum's. One of the forum sponsors have a good price on quality items too.

MAF cleaner or CO contact cleaner will be what to use to clean the MAF. Easy job that will take around 5mins.

Change the oil. Run an engine flush product before dropping the oil.

spencer983

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Holden VX Commodore Executive
Quick update, ute is now stuck in the driveway. It suddenly decided to stop running this morning, It started but only barely then dropped down to 500rpm, stalled, and will not start again. I'm clueless as to what it might be as it was kicking strong 2 days ago. I out ruled a blocked fuel filter, vacuum hoses seem secure with no issues.

Could the timing chain cause it to suddenly die like this? I just knocked off work, so now I'm going to grab some MAF cleaner. Air filter is all good, my next step is new coils, leads and plugs.

BTW: no warning lights or codes or anything are flashing up besides one, "Check powertrain" after trying to crank it over for about 10 seconds.

Thanks guys, wish me luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
No leads on these.
You'll need to remove the inlet manifold, which is easy as, to get to the coils, then get plugs out.

I doubt the timing would go that quickly. Take a look at the possibility it's the ECM

These are an easy fix. Source a suitable module from a wrecker and or get in touch with envyous customs to match it up to your car.

Capsule

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE Omega
Read the codes with an OBD scanner, I'm pretty sure a check powertrain alert would be associated with error codes.
Could be the fuel pump too.