Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden Commodore VZ 2006 whine / buzzing sound from the engine

Gleb.z

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 Holden VZ Commodore V6 3.6L
Hello everyone!

I am having a bit of an issue with my Commodore. Last year I started noticing a small buzzing/whining sound coming from the engine bay. Over the year it has become worse and now I am getting a bit concerned. So, it has done 216000k, it has been a family car and I inherited it from my dad 13000k ago LOL . The oil has been changed every 5000-7000 together with filters. I have tried to use mechanical stethoscope to trace it and sort of localised the noise - thought it was coming from the AC pump, and spent $550 to change it. However it didn't fix the problem - I fixed the "healthy" part :doh:

So, I have recorded the sound on my smartphone:
Here it is stationary (sorry for the vertical video) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m4ijaHCuYY
Here it is in driving https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwUn4WI-F3E

Does anyone has any clue where this problem is located? Has anyone came across the point where you managed to fix it?
I have seen similar posts, but it seems like no one managed to pin point the issue.

Please help :)

Thanks

Capsule

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE Omega
It could be the idler or tensioner pulley. Change both of them, you can find a pulleys + belt kit for around $80.

Actually, when I changed those, because it was squeaky when cold, I also got rid of a similar whine, but that was only when the A/C was on (so yeah, at some point I was tempted to change the compressor, because it's pretty loud too, but since the whining is gone, I can live with a noisy compressor, although that was misleading)

D

Don123

how do you delete a post

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Don123

As far as I'm concerned there's no problem with your car other than a tiny whine which is probably the fan belt ( try squirting a little water on it while engine is running) and also a little cough while on the highway. :yahoo:

Capsule

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE Omega
As far as I'm concerned there's no problem with your car other than a tiny whine which is probably the fan belt ( try squirting a little water on it while engine is running) and also a little cough while on the highway. :yahoo:

Tiny whine? wow, you must be almost deaf for not hearing that out loud. That would drive me crazy.

D

Don123

I had my headphones on and I listened to the whole video. try squirting a little lubricant on the fan belt, or maybe it's the alternator. In any case I don't think it's a big deal, but you can prove me wrong when you find the problem.
Tiny whine? wow, you must be almost deaf for not hearing that out loud. That would drive me crazy.

Gleb.z

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi guys! thank you for your reply. I took off the belt the other day and tried to rotate the tension pulley as well as other ones. I even sprayed some CRC inside the pulley (I think I've done a mistake by doing this as it may de-grease the possibly healthy bearing), but the noise hasn't changed. I tried to wobble and spin pulleys, but I didn't feel any play or unusual tension/resistance in them. Maaaay be it is them, but I start thinking the noise is coming from the inside the engine... I'll try spraying some water on the belt.

Gleb.z

Reaction score
Members Ride
The alternator is on the driver's side, but the noise is coming from the left. Will have a further look.

Capsule

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE Omega
Hi guys! thank you for your reply. I took off the belt the other day and tried to rotate the tension pulley as well as other ones. I even sprayed some CRC inside the pulley (I think I've done a mistake by doing this as it may de-grease the possibly healthy bearing), but the noise hasn't changed. I tried to wobble and spin pulleys, but I didn't feel any play or unusual tension/resistance in them. Maaaay be it is them, but I start thinking the noise is coming from the inside the engine... I'll try spraying some water on the belt.

My old pulleys felt healthy too, but changing them definitely quietened the engine, so I'd say it's worth a try. I'm not sure spraying stuff in a dying bearing would change anything tho :)