Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacing diff vz tonner

burlz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series 2 s
Ive just recently picked up a second hand diff to replace the noisy one in my vz v6 one tonner. Just wondering if anybody could give me any tips or a walkthrough to replace it at home. Thanks

burlz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series 2 s
Or should i buy diff additive and replace the oil in the current diff. Any advice would be muchly appreciated.

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
whats wrong with your diff is it a LSDyou can bye oil that needs no additive these days already in them

burlz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series 2 s
Yeh lsd. It whines loudly. No clunking and the ute drives fine just noisy. I changed the diff oil and put an additive in. The noise has reduced considerably but still noticeable.

Rileymax

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 Vz Commodore
the diff whine could be due to the lash on the gears

Not too hard a job, mate and I did mine in about 2 hours
Make sure you have enough clearance to hold the diff or to put it on something, even without oil these things way close to 30kg
Might want to unbolt exhaust from the catback, just because it gives a bit more clearance
disconnect rear wheel speed sensors
unbolt tailshaft from diff
unbolt cv's from either side
the bolts on top of the diff
drop it out
put the new one in with the reverse order

if its a different ratio you'll have to get your speedo recalibrated, cost me $200 but that also licenses your car through GM if you want it tuned

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Or should i buy diff additive and replace the oil in the current diff. Any advice would be muchly appreciated.

Drain the oil, look for metal particles, refill and see if it makes a difference. This could be a cheap and easy way before fitting another diff.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
the diff whine could be due to the lash on the gears

Not too hard a job, mate and I did mine in about 2 hours
Make sure you have enough clearance to hold the diff or to put it on something, even without oil these things way close to 30kg
Might want to unbolt exhaust from the catback, just because it gives a bit more clearance
disconnect rear wheel speed sensors
unbolt tailshaft from diff
unbolt cv's from either side
the bolts on top of the diff
drop it out
put the new one in with the reverse order

if its a different ratio you'll have to get your speedo recalibrated, cost me $200 but that also licenses your car through GM if you want it tuned

Not having a shot at you Rileymax for trying to help a bloke out.
But the info you provided is for a vehicle that that has independent rear suspension.
The VY/VZ 1 Tonners and the Crewmans have a solid rear axle

Last edited:

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Ive just recently picked up a second hand diff to replace the noisy one in my vz v6 one tonner. Just wondering if anybody could give me any tips or a walkthrough to replace it at home. Thanks

Chock front wheels
Raise the rear and put jack stands under chassis rails (in front of the front spring eye)
Unbolt the tail shaft
Disconnect wheel speed sensors
Disconnect the brake line at the T piece that connects to the brake piping on the diff
Undo and remove the U bolts attaching the diff to the springs
Lift out the diff by sliding one side over the spring towards the centre of the vehicle and then slide the other side through the same way and drag it out from under the vehicle.

Fit new diff assembly in the same way as the old one was removed.
And replace the U bolts with new ones.

You will probably have to remove the rear section of the exhaust to have the room to manoeuvre the diff out over the springs.

Last edited: