Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel mixture??

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf Sv6 ute
Ok so i was just looking at my petrol cap the other day when i was filling up and on the inside of the cap it says E10 compatible. At the moment im running standard 91 fuel but was wondering if i where to fill up with E10 would i have to empty the 91 unleaded first probably a really stupid question but just thought id ask.

MiKExAUS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS A4 Series II
For what it's worth. I'd stick with filling up with 91 (no ethanol).

To answer your question, yes it's no worries you can mix and match E10 and plain unleaded fuels.

E10 compatible essentially means up to 10% ethanol compatible, so mixing any amount of E10 with a tank of unleaded (no matter how full) is always going to give you under 10% ethanol.

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
What the manufacturer says

Do you have the owners handbook for your car? My car (VZ Commodore) manual tells me, quite clearly, under no circumstances should I use E10 or other fuels containing alcohol. Apparently alcohol fuels damage various parts of your fuel delivery system requiring very expensive repairs. I know that I can't use E10 as I just cannot take a punt on whether I will get away with it.
PS, if you are driving a car that is designed/built to use E10, fine but if not why risk it. I had a Ford Telstar some years ago which was also a car the makers warned against using alcohol fuels in for the same reason ie damage to the fuel system, so nothing new. Manufacturers have been warning against alcohol fuels for many years.

D

Don123

There's no way that I will use this E10. So i was using 95 Octane, but then decided that for the sake of 6 cents a litre ( the price between 95 and 98) I will use 98 only.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
I run e10 (98 octane) in my vx pretty much all the time and have had no issues, all I can say is if u start running e10 it would pay to have a fresh new fuel filter as it cleans crap out of the petrol tank

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I run e10 (98 octane) in my vx pretty much all the time and have had no issues, all I can say is if u start running e10 it would pay to have a fresh new fuel filter as it cleans crap out of the petrol tank

E10 is 94 octane, not 98...

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
Yep same here, the VX states it is safe for E10. Alcohol can break down non-compliant parts, that is why some cars can use it and others can't.

Theoretically Alcohol has 1/2 the energy potential so at 10% theoretically you get 5% worse fuel economy, however in back to back fills to the brim each time I have never seen any discernible difference in performance or economy, however my back packet feels it every fill.

BP generally is close to $1.90+ per litre where as Gull Takanini is around $1.82, doing 6-700km a week averaging around 13l/100km adds up pretty quick.