Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Buying Guide

Reaction score
Members Ride
NOTHING
Im currently looking at buying a Manual VZ SV6 Commodore. Ive read numerous cases about the timing chains stretching. This is the only reason why im not 100% about the VZ. Could someone p,ease give me more info on this issue. What should I lookout for and when was this issue revised (build date). Also if I were to buy one how could i prevent the timing chains from stretching?? Furthermore what else should I look for? Also what are your thoughts on the L67 Spac Commodore VY. Im also looking at it also? are there any downfalls? only reason not making me go for the VY is that there are no manuals..not looking into converting one either ahahah

pebbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE series 2
Personally i would stay right away from the 6 cylinder model VZ and go for a V8 but not the LS1 8.
The 6 has way to many issues for my liking as does the LS1.
What ever you get look long and hard at the service intervals of the vehicle. 15000 ks is way to long between servicing any vehicle in my opinion.
They claim the stretching of the chain has been fixed but Im not so sure, its still happening on the odd VE up to 2012 as far as Im aware from posts on this site.
Sludge in the engine is another problem when servicing hasn't been completed at the required intervals especially with the tiny oil filter they will persist in using.
There are a number of threads on this site in regards to the timing chain and sludge so I would have a good read of these before handing over any money.
You may be better off with a SS or HSV if you have the money as these vehicles are generally owned by people who care for their vehicles better than the average car owner.

Reaction score
Members Ride
NOTHING
Im currently on my p's in nsw so im restricted to some cars...if i werent id ditch the 6 and go straight for the 8

pebbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE series 2
Well in that case I would go for the VY as I believe it is a stronger motor in the sense it doesnt have the timing chain problems.Unless you can get a VZ which has a full history from its previous owner in regards to servicing and past work carried out.
I know this might be hard but if you look in the log books the name and address of the previous owner owner may be in it.The other thing is to have a mechanic look at it for you the cost would be worth it in the long run.Are you after the SV6 or the smaller 172 motor?

Reaction score
Members Ride
NOTHING
Nah im after the 190kw sv6... only thing with the l67 VY is that there is no manual ones and they arent many clean ones going around with low kms

R

Risky

Trying to find a low kms Alloytec 190kW that hasn't been thrashed is a very tall order. Trying to find one that's been properly serviced is another. You're also looking at a car that's between 10-12 years old so it narrows it down to more. The best thing to do as you're on your P's is get a VY L36 engine. Save your money for when you come off your P's so you can get the V8 that you want.

I was looking for a V8 ute & the same story.... been thrashed & poor service history. Buy a car that has a documented service history.

Gaiter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder
The best thing to do as you're on your P's is get a VY L36 engine. Save your money for when you come off your P's so you can get the V8 that you want.

This.

Buy a VY ecotec. Learn to do the basics yourself, i.e. services. Save that coin and on the day you get your blacks reward yourself with a v8 or a newer v6. You got the right idea however in doing your research, keep it up. I spent 3 years reading and looking until I found mine. Couldn't be happier.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
There is quite a bit of info on this forum about engine numbers likely to be affected by timing chain issues, and sludge.
If you have decided on a SV6 Manual, have you found one that you like, or are you looking ?
I realise that if you are on your ‘P’s, and you want it ‘now’, but if you are still looking, patience and research is required to find ‘The Car’ ......Carsales website is a good place to start.
And don’t get one that somebody has already lowered, or fitted 5,000Watt sound system.

Capsule

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE Omega
And don’t get one that somebody has already lowered, or fitted 5,000Watt sound system.

Well, if it was well done by somebody that took care of his car and serviced it regularly, why not, but yes, the chances of the seller being a hoon probably outweigh the fact he could just be a car enthusiast :)

Ozzie

JCCC Warrnambool
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ozzie'z Supercharged VY Calais
Don't do it!

VZ v6 are nothing but problems.
If you want a decent looking VZ then buy an SV6 kit and stick it onto a VY. It will be cheaper in the long run as VZ issues will cost you more.