Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ leather seat trim replacement

macca234

Reaction score
Members Ride
'06 VZ SS 6L
My 06 6L has a busted seat on the drivers side. I've got black leather seats with "ss" embroidered on them up the top. Big split in the seam along the side nearest to the door on the upright.

My question is has anyone removed the leather before for replacement? I've heard that it is glued on and thus cannot be stitched back up. I can secure a genuine replacement for not too much and am thinking of tackling it myself.

There's nothing in my service manual or on multiple searches for this (as far as I can find) so if anyone knows anything it'll be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
replacing the leather is quite straight forward.
New leather covers are available on the eBays from 4bloc or Proseat

R

Risky

obsoleteparts_australia ebay store items - Get great deals on items on eBay Stores! will have them. I've used these guys before & they're very reliable. I wouldn't call removing the leather the easiest thing to do.

If you can buy a whole seat that matches, then it's easy to do that. Otherwise fitting leather & gluing can be messy.

macca234

Reaction score
Members Ride
'06 VZ SS 6L
Right-o then. I'm guessing you just access it underneath the seat pocket bit on the back? Do you know if you need to glue it back on when you replace it? Or can it just clipped in?

I've retrimmed truck seats before at work but this being my personal ride I don't just want to guess here

Thanks for the help dudes

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Right-o then. I'm guessing you just access it underneath the seat pocket bit on the back? Do you know if you need to glue it back on when you replace it? Or can it just clipped in?

I've retrimmed truck seats before at work but this being my personal ride I don't just want to guess here

Thanks for the help dudes

If they are like the cloth seats then the foam and cover are one, and they unclip from under the seat.
You need to remove the seat from the car and separate the rear from the base to make it easy.
Make sure you disconnect the battery and remove the key at least a couple of minutes before disconnecting the seat wiring, or you will end up with an abs fault, and don't forget there is most likely an air bag in the outer top of the rear section, at least on the drivers seat.

R

Risky

The photo below shows the underneath VYI seat on the left & VYII on the right.

rambunctious is correct about the clips. If you are taking the seats apart, remove the knobs on the side of the seat to take them apart.

Make sure the battery is disconnected or otherwise you'll get a fault code.

Attachments

• VY I and VY II seats.jpg
    VY I and VY II seats.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 428

macca234

Reaction score
Members Ride
'06 VZ SS 6L
No worries then I'll have a go and see how I go. Help is much appreciated guys if I get stuck I know where to ask

jeepyrocks

Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW 535D, VR V6 Ute
By memory the were only glued on the earlier vt-vx cloth seats? I know when I did the seat foam on my VZ Avalanche, it was just clips and Velcro holding the leather on. No glue. Wasn't even that difficult really.