Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ maximum 18" tyre size

Timm65

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
First time possible posting so please go easy. I have searched and not found a definite answer.

I have inherited my son's VZ SV6 off him with stock 15" steel wheels as he could not never decide what rims he liked. The car is running standard FE2 suspension and has had the rear guards rolled as he had 20" rims at one stage.

I am looking at VE SV6 series 2 rims and understand the centre bore and stud diameter differences. These rims came standard with 245/45 R18 tyres, but I believe that they will rub on the front struts. Am I correct?

What is the ideal or maximum size tyre I can get away with for these rims without having any clearance issues?

Thanks in advance.

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
Maximum tyre size for a VZ using a VE 18 x8" rim would be 245/40x18.
the 45 tyre from the VE is taller and will rub under the spring seat of the front strut.
Given that all tyres are not created equal (in sizing) some 245/40's may still rub where as 235/40 will definitely fit with no rubbing.

Timm65

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Thank Surfwagon. That's roughly what I thought.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I used a special wheel nut for mine so the thread extends down the stud much further than normal. Got them of eBay.
Even on a VE, the load is taken by the hub, not the studs. There is a lot of free space around the studs on a VE using VE rims, don't be fooled that they are supposed to fit snugly when going a pre VE car.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I have 245/35/R19's which is about as close as I could go to the struts.
Compare that to an R18 tyre with this (*Not Mac friendly, ok on PC)

Tire size calculator