Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Good resources for head teardown how to on ls1

sjp770

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Sedan Manual LS3, VY II Adventra LS1 CX8
So the previous owner of my VYII Adventra (has a VZ powertrain go figure) left me with two busted exhaust manifold bolts. Besides this there is a bunch of oil leaks and ive narrow some down to the heads and valve covers. My plan is to pull the heads off, clean them up and renew gaskets and bolts. Part of the reasoning for this is to pop my cherry on engine internals work as well. Ive done brakes and suspension but never pulled a decent engine apart (a ford laser and a tube of gasket goo dont count)

What I have:

LS1/LS6 Chevy performance head gaskets
ARP head bolts
ARP intake bolts
ARP exhaust manifold bolts
ARP Water pump bolts
ARP torque assembly lube
Loctite 561 thread sealant (for oil pressure switch - looks pre sealed though)
Felpro valve cover gasket
Felpro intake manifold gasket
Felpro valley gasket
GMB water pump w/ thermostat
AC Delco Oil Pressure Switch
Penrite red coolant
Need to grab new oil.

I have a suitable kincrome torque wrench, and all the spanners / sockets i should need (no 12 point bolts.) Recently had the heater tap bust and seeming the car has 215K kms im going to renew the pump - not sure what went through the old one, probably just plastic but it wasnt that much more than a thermostat and housing anyway. So im going to drain the coolant when I have the heads off so that job will work well doing it at the same time.

Part of the work looks like i'll have to remove the rockers - ok not too bad. Putting them back on seems like a task. Affix loosely, find top dead centre of that piston, tighten + 1/2 turn preload to adjust for no back lash? Does that sound right or can i do it another way?

Cleaning the threads on the block seems ok, just slit the old bolts and run them in and out till its clean. Probably blow it out with air too? Begs the question how do I protect any crap getting into the engine?

The valley is coming off so I can check out the lifters - with the push rods out i should be able to lift them out and inspect each one?

I think this is all i'll be able to do for now. I would have loved to get some 243 heads but budget wont allow for that.

Any tips on articles / how to's to read?

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Sorry mate can't help u with the info ur looking for but I would suggest if your gonna pull the heads off while ur at it it wouldn't be a silly idea to chuck some new lifters in while ur at it especially with 215,000 ks on the clock

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Buy yourself a Max Ellery workshop manual.
This manual will have all the torque settings and sequences in it for the head bolts and rockers etc.
image.jpg
Also the ARP bolts will have their own recommended torque settings, whether they are the same as the factory bolt torque specs or not I honestly can't remember so I cannot 100% confirm.
I suggest you check out ARP's website for the info and use their recommended torque settings for the head bolts
Good luck with it and hope all goes well.

Definitely replace the lifters and the lifter buckets while the heads are off.

Last edited:

sjp770

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Sedan Manual LS3, VY II Adventra LS1 CX8
Thanks all. Ordered the lifters and buckets yesterday. $220 delivered. I'll check out ls1howto.com and that workshop manual (adventra doesnt have one)