Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2004 vz sv6 auto to manual conversion

janusz wiadrowski

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6
hey guys, I have just converted my 2004 vz sv6 from auto to manual this isn't my first conversion but have had the same problem over and over. I always seem to have problems with the tail shaft and the wiring harness, I cant find the right size tail shaft to fit, I've been told the same story that the shaft is the same auto to manual but has never come close to fitting. right now I am splitting two shafts to make one that should fit has anyone found the right size shaft? the length I need now is 1.53m. would splitting two shafts be the best way or?? can anyone help me out. thanks

Natho94

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz sv6
Hey mate did you need a adapter to fit manual spline to engine and manual fly wheel I’m absolutely stuck with mine due to my fly wheel not lining up to the back of the engine cheers mate also hope you found your tail shaft problem hope I don’t have to do the same

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Hey mate did you need a adapter to fit manual spline to engine and manual fly wheel I’m absolutely stuck with mine due to my fly wheel not lining up to the back of the engine cheers mate also hope you found your tail shaft problem hope I don’t have to do the same
1598178987466.png

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Natho,

Something is not right there. As for the flywheel you should have a dual mass flywheel that should bolt up. The engine doesn't have a preference for what she is mated up to - loose morals haha. It sounds to me like you have the wrong flywheel.

No adaptors are needed, although you will probably need to change the spigot bearing in the back of the crankshaft to suit the manual. Not 100% sure as I have not done this conversion on a VZ. To change the spigot bearing put some grease into the bearing centre and using a suitable sized drift hit the grease with a hammer and pop the bearing out. I have heard of people using bread to do this as well.

Cheers n Beers
Craig