Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HELP replacing timing chains?

spencer983

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Holden VX Commodore Executive
Hey guys :)

Sorry if this is a repeated question, I did use the search function and found very little help :supersad:

So basically I'm replacing my timing chains on my 04 vz ute, I got it all down to the chains and now I'm just waiting on the chain kit to arrive (next 2 days).
Up to this point I haven't had any issues with stripping it down, but this is making me really nervous as I don't want to break something :confused:

What I can see is that one of the chain guides snapped and one of the tensioners are lose (move when I press on them) and I think that's made the chain lose (or maybe it's just stretched?) so I'm thinking it may of slipped a gear?

I've added a few photos as well.

Here are my problems,

1) The old timing chain is supposed to have marks on it, correct? But I think they may of worn off as I really can't see any marks on the chain. Will this be a problem installing the new chain?

2) How exactly do I remove the chain? Do I just remove the tensioners and slip it off, then slip the new ones on?

3) How do I make sure all the timing is correct and line up the timing marks with the new chain?

Sorry for all the questions, first time I've done this and want to make sure I do it right, so I don't have to strip it down again...

The photos:

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Any help is MUCH appreciated :)

Thank you!!

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
There good pics do a search on youtube some stuff on there your motor looks a bit sluge

aussieakito

Holden Dealer Master Tech
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Manual VY SS2, 2005 Rolla Sportivo
Hey guys :)

Sorry if this is a repeated question, I did use the search function and found very little help :supersad:

So basically I'm replacing my timing chains on my 04 vz ute, I got it all down to the chains and now I'm just waiting on the chain kit to arrive (next 2 days).
Up to this point I haven't had any issues with stripping it down, but this is making me really nervous as I don't want to break something :confused:

What I can see is that one of the chain guides snapped and one of the tensioners are lose (move when I press on them) and I think that's made the chain lose (or maybe it's just stretched?) so I'm thinking it may of slipped a gear?

I've added a few photos as well.

Here are my problems,

1) The old timing chain is supposed to have marks on it, correct? But I think they may of worn off as I really can't see any marks on the chain. Will this be a problem installing the new chain?

2) How exactly do I remove the chain? Do I just remove the tensioners and slip it off, then slip the new ones on?

3) How do I make sure all the timing is correct and line up the timing marks with the new chain?

Sorry for all the questions, first time I've done this and want to make sure I do it right, so I don't have to strip it down again...

The photos:

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Any help is MUCH appreciated :)

Thank you!!

1) No, Even if they did you would never be able to line up the marks again, theyre only made for install... would take a couple hundred revolutions for them to line up again all exactly the same i believe.

2) i would hope you are replacing all the tensioner along with all the guides, while the chain is probably stretched most the problems are caused by seized tensioners. start by removed the drivers side, then the middle then the passenger, remove all chains and guides, clean everything and put it all back according to the diagram you should have in the new kit or download from online, usually you would use locking tools for the cams to make sure its all fitting right, you want to make sure the cams are in the right place before removing the chains otherwise you will bend valves trying to spin them.

3) yes line marks up on the new chain to the sprockets according to the diagram.

Send me a PM if you get stuck.

If i was you i would of given the motor a sludge treatment before changing the chains, i can tell you right now the reason your chains are having issues are because of that sludge, the tiny little pin hole that feeds the tensioners would of gotten clogged up with gunk, to avoid any further issues once youre done and its all running mind do a flush and service every 5000km with good quality oil.

pebbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE series 2
While you are at it do the oil pump as well.

spencer983

Reaction score
Members Ride
I checked Youtube and personally couldn't find anything very detailed at all :doh:

I can't be bothered doing the oil pump as that means I'd have to put it up on stands and drop the K frame, as to my understanding.

Hey AussieAkito :)

That's great man, so basically I just have to line the new chains up accordingly and it'll be set?

Yes, I'm replacing all chains, tensioners and guides. Basically everything but the sprockets :) I think a good size piece of the chain guide that broke actually fell into the sump, because after removing the timing chain cover I couldn't find the missing piece so I assume it fell in. I'm gonna see if I can't fish it out... if not I'll have to remove the sump :bomb: I wasn't gonna use the cam locking tools to be honest, was trying to do it the cheap way haha. But I decided I'd rather not be stupid and risk it, will track down some locking tools tomorrow. :)

It's funny you say that, actually... I was on my way back from Supercheap with a oil flush additive that I was gonna use that day. Then it almost died in traffic and I managed to barely get it home, it wouldn't really start up again after that. Bad luck I suppose :bang: After this I will definitely flush it out a few times to be safe.

Thanks very much for the input :)

aussieakito

Holden Dealer Master Tech
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Manual VY SS2, 2005 Rolla Sportivo
100% use the lock tools, I've done it before without them but as its your first time I would definitely recommend locking them in stages as per instructions

spencer983

Reaction score
Members Ride
Okay, update guys.

So at the moment I have 2 problems stopping me from completing the job.

1) The new chain guide on the oil pump is different from the stock one that came off. So the new chain guide doesn't line up with the old holes on the oil pump. Does this mean I have to buy a new oil pump?

Pictures:

https://imgur.com/gallery/42D4e

2) I belive because the chain was stretched, the crankshaft sprocket isn't lined up with the timing mark on the engine (even though the intake and exhaust marks are lined up with the sprockets). How can I work around this? Can I just turn the crankshaft sprocket so it lines up, even though it has no chains on it?
Pictures:
https://imgur.com/gallery/VmhTV

Thank you :)