Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Timing chain problem

sv6lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 sv6 commodore
Hi all, pretty long story but i'll try to keep it on track.

About 3 months ago while starting from a cold start (after the car had been sitting over night) I had a grating noise which sounded like the timing chain rattling on the casing,
I recorded the noise and took it to the dealer, they listened to the recording and said "yep it's your timing chain"
I had it replaced (took them 7 days) and got the bill for $2400, I argued that they had the car too long and got a $400 discount.
Took the car home and 3 days later the same noise, recorded it a few times and rang the dealer, they told me to bring it back in and then went on to say that it was a lifter making the noise ?!?
Told them that it was the same original noise which they agreed, the car went back into the workshop and they stripped it down. What they didn't tell me was that although they had replaced the chains they didn't replace the tensioners.
I asked the head mechanic why and he said there was nothing wrong with the tensioners.
Today they called and said that it was in fact the tensioners and they would need to be replaced at a cost of $3600?!?!?.
The way I see it is.... if it was the tensioners all along why did they replace the timing chains in the first place?.. have told them that I won't be paying for something that didn't need to be done.

I would have checked the tensioners first then the chains after that.
Bottom line is they are a bunch of muppets, won't be going there again and certainly won't be paying them for work that didn't need to be done.

Whew... glad I got that off my chest

Ozzie

JCCC Warrnambool
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ozzie'z Supercharged VY Calais
Very common issue for the VZ which is why we sold ours (after they were changed)
90% of that cost is labour. Ask around the forum or even Facebook and find a reputable "back yard" mechanic it will be a lot cheaper.
There's one that I know personally that can pull an alloytec to bits in a day and have it running again that night, mind you he isn't qualified at all.
After all it's only a piece of paper. I'm sure all the "qualified" mechanics will disagree with me

pebbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE series 2
So what they are trying to tell you is that the tensioners were ok, but 3 days later they needed replacing. right.
Tell them you will pay for the cost of the tensioners only, or bring fair trading into it.
Gee, I wonder why I have a beef with dealers mechanics? Perhaps smashfist can explain why?

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
I had the same problem but sludge was my enemy and the diesel like rattling was sludge in one tensioner oil feed path making one chain run loose....they should have seen this if it was your problem...the chains normally come in a kit and you would never put the old tensioners back on just because of the trouble it takes to get to them and especially their age and the probablity of their likely future failure.
heres what I had to contend with...ive already cleaned the drivers side...bloody sludge.

Last edited:

sv6lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 sv6 commodore
Thanks Guys. they still have my car... now they are telling me that it's the "pickup" in the sump which makes sense, oil isn't getting up to the tensioners for a split second, having said that, it now looks like they replaced the chains for no reason what so ever.
Even when they replaced the tensioners the noise remained.... bunch of muppets.
I'll post back when i get the car back and the (detailed) invoice which i refuse to pay

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
If you refuse to pay the account you may not get your vehicle back until it has been paid.

Do you have family lawyer to talk to?

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
This could be a classic case of NOT asking enough questions reading said problem(s) and likely cures. With the probability of huge expensive repairs why wouldn't you get a second or third opinion (including quotes). As for refusing to pay the invoice, not a good idea as you will not be receiving the vehicle back until such time as ALL money has been paid. It's their right to act accordingly and if necessary sell your vehicle to recover ALL costs (perhaps including legal - for them). As already suggested, seek legal advice. If you are a member of an Auto Club, they often offer members some preliminary advice on such matters - for no charge. As for the pictures of the engine, looks very much like a case of 'sludge build-up' possibly/probably resulting form inadequate servicing (oil changing etc). Perhaps it might be time to rid yourself of said vehicle and cut your losses. Good luck.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
FWIW I would be very interested in knowing exactly what the service books tell the owner of this vehicle?

Mainly how often was it serviced and using what oils over the years?

#4 is actually not the vehicle involved in this discussion, but another Aloytec from a little while back that obviously had not been using the correct oils, or being changed not often enough.

There was red VZ only last week here with same or similar problems, and the question was as by us about the servicing and oils but no answer came forth.

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
I had the same problem but sludge was my enemy and the diesel like rattling was sludge in one tensioner oil feed path making one chain run loose....they should have seen this if it was your problem...the chains normally come in a kit and you would never put the old tensioners back on just because of the trouble it takes to get to them and especially their age and the probablity of their likely future failure.
heres what I had to contend with...ive already cleaned the drivers side...bloody sludge.
that looks terrible how many ks on it

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz
that looks terrible how many ks on it

027.jpg024.jpg011.jpg019.jpg001.jpgmine was the same and i didnt change the chains or tensionsers or pump but pulled down motor and sump and replaced oil pump to block seal still going great