Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2004 vz ss

Pictonjoe

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SS
Just checked oil and only just on dipstick , not long purchased the car. No leaks, no smoke, should I worry or just get it serviced and see where it goes from there? Also no warning light has come on, how low can they go and still function safely ?

Last edited:

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
You may have already caused damage resulting from insufficient lubrication. Most engines burn some oil, not always apparent by smoke from exhaust. Suggest you get into the habit of checking under your bonnet (all fluid levels) at least weekly. Prevention is better than sure. Besides you are driving a 12 year old vehicle. How many kilometres has it travelled. Probably starting to wear out.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
What colour is the oil? Perhaps it was serviced before you bought it and they didn't fill the oil right up? If it were my car I'd buy some oil and top it up for now or if you can afford to do an oil and filter change then go that way also I'd be doing either option asap

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Also I'm not sure about the later ls1 (vy,vz) but LS1 engines are known to be oil burners my 01 vx ls1 with 145k on the clock burns oil definitely I have been told it's due to the valve stem seals and probably some of it due to the pcv system as well

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Just checked oil and only just on dipstick , not long purchased the car. No leaks, no smoke, should I worry or just get it serviced and see where it goes from there? Also no warning light has come on, how low can they go and still function safely ?

You have recently bought it so if it is not showing any recent service history, get it serviced.

Pictonjoe

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SS
68000. Yes poor on my part considering I'm a truck driver and check my truck daily.

Pictonjoe

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SS
Oil was only just visible on dipstick , but was dark. And cheers oil and filter on the list for Tuesday

Pictonjoe

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SS
The guy said it was serviced 6k ago , he's a genuine sort of guy but couldn't show proof of service . Will be done Tuesday