Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

I've had a problem reoccur!

ZOOTV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Holden VZ SS Commodore
I have a 2004 VZ SS Commodore (auto) It's maffless tuned. About 4 months ago the 4 passenger side spark plugs fouled big time because the car was running so rich all of a sudden. I replaced the plugs and O2 sensors and it was happy days.

This morning I started the car and left it idling for 15 minutes then turned it off (I was waiting for a neighbour that needed a lift then they decided they didnt need a lift.) When I went back to the car to start it about 10-15 minutes later it would fire up momentarily then shut off. After pumping the accelerator to start it, it fired up but the revs were low so I gave it a good rev and it was backfiring then shut off after I stopped revving it

Eventually I put my foot on the brake, put it into reverse whilst revving and started reversing. I got it onto the street and put it into drive it didn't turn off and I drove away however it was running on 4 cylinders (you could tell due to less power and the car was quieter.

Has anyone any idea what could be causing this issue?

Just started it, idle is lower and there is less power but not shutting off but is extremely rich.

Last edited:

ZOOTV

Reaction score
Members Ride
Any ideas on this one fellas?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I would have the tune looked at. Something is killing the O2 sensor I'd say.

Either that or you have a short in the loom that is grounding the LH bank injectors.

ZOOTV

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks mate I'm thinking injectors but why would it take 4 months to rear its head again? What are the injectors doing to achieve the spark plugs fouling and the O2 sensors failing? Why does it take so long?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
If it's in the tune and the injectors are putting too much fuel in, it may take a while to show up. If it's a short in the loom, then it could be intermittent enough to not foul the plugs for a few months.