Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Adventra LS1 upgrade

Dezzle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LX8 Adventra
Now having racked up nearly 300K km in my beloved VZ LX8 Adventra, it's getting a bit rattley and want a bit more than the usual OTR, extractors and tune.

I want to keep her, but now facing the decision about what to do about either rebuilding or replacing the engine (and possibly also the transmission....which was only rebuilt a year ago).

I'll have about $15 - 17K (possibly even $20K..............if no one tells the missus) to spend on her and ideally want more grunt without being lumpy and able to behave in traffic/day-to-day driving.

I've been looking longingly at the LSA crate engines, but understand it might be a pain to install........ and probably also have the expensive and maybe impossible task of having to upgrade the trans to a 4l80e, 6l80e or 6l90e and mating it to the crosstrac system.

The other option might be upgrading to a L77 or LS3, but will the stock Adventra trans (4l60e/4l65e) cope long term if some work is done to the engine?

Is it maybe better to rebuild the LS1, keep the trans and maybe supercharge or turbocharge?

Is there anyone recommended in the Brisbane area that could do a decent drive-in, drive-out upgrade/rebuild?

Freedon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vu ss
if you did a ls3 id leave it stock unless you've done some serious work to the tranny( i do have a worked ls3/ built 4l60e and its on the limits for it). alot depends on the condition of the bores in the block if looking to rebuild as reslieving costs alot.
hi torque ( labrador ) is about the only one i know in the area, that has done similar stuff, they wouldnt come cheap though

Darcon666

Evil is always around you
Reaction score
Website
www.gfy.com
Members Ride
Your Mother
The problem is the 4WD system.... it the same in the HSV Coupe4 and why HSV de tuned the crap out of everything to cope...

Id say... A crate LS2/3, no mods(you will need some bits and pieces changed like Cable Throttle body, 24tooth Reluctor wheel, etc. etc. etc.)... plus ~15-17K(if you don't do the install yourself) and your done. ;)

Dezzle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LX8 Adventra
Thanks for the advice.

Sounds like a stock crate LS3 might be the best bet.

It's a shame that there's not really any relatively cheap/easy option to swap out the 4l60e.
I think the rest of the car (and Coupe 4s, Cross 8s) could have been a great platform for something that could keep up with or smoke AWD Audi's or X Beamers and probably be more reliable.