Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Ute won't start

Lunchbox72

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ commordore ute
My son has a 2004 VZ ute. It sat in the backyard for 3 months with no use and the battery went flat. I recharged the battery and everything seemed to be fine, but over the last week or so the car just does not start, no clicks not anything, then a couple of days later it starts no problems. I replaced the starter relay, after reading the forums but no joy. I tried jump starting it with my ute but still nothing. any ideas?

JohannesM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 2004 Station Wagon 6Cyl Ecotech Luminaire
Did u manage to resolve the problem? If so what was the cause ?

JohnVarkevisser

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ sv6 Alloytec 04
Same problem guys, wouldn't mind an answer. Just got my first car and i have a feeling the ecu has shat itself.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Sometimes it can be simple.
Mate had some trouble starting his, then nothing. All sorts of complicated computerised problems were thought of, until a suggestion to hit the starter motor with a hammer. It started, then a new starter motor fitted. Fixed.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Probably worth bridging the starter relay and see if it will crank. Try simple things first before worrying about a major problem like PCM.

Danh89

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VZ
Starting from about 3-4 years ago my 04 VZ randomly wouldn’t start (no sounds no nothing) but would start not long after. This was very rare though (once every 6 months or so) so l didn’t do anything about it. But for the last few months its been hit and miss. Starts 50% of the time. I’ve had two mechanics go over it and tried the nib on the key connection, starter motor + battery. Both mechanics pretty much walked away from it. I know nothing about cars but it seems all the obvious small things have been tried and no luck. Any ideas would be appreciated. Cheers.

Vaughanacho

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore executive 2005
Hey guys have an 05 vz that won’t start, battery went flat. Took battery out and charged it. Won’t start, wont turn over and doesn’t click. Is there a start up sequence?? Immobiliser? I’m lost