Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil for my Alloytec??

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
I had a look around and couldn't really spot any discussion on this.

What kind of oil will my Alloytec like best? I think I heard somewhere that a 15W/40 grade is about right.

Opinions on synthetics - are they worth it? Is there significant advantages to using synths in an engine like the Alloytec?

Comments appreciated. Thanx!

Jamie_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 BA XR6
Mate with a brand new car id be using nothing but synthetic...its the best stuff for engines...has really good protection on start up etc... and is free flowing cos it aint thick ...try and get a fully synthetic with a high temp rating ive seen 0-40w/50w which sounds like water when u shake the bottle lol...if i had a new car i wouldnt go near normal oil

V

VZSV6

mobil 1 synthetic is usually the only oil u can use, it was designed with that engine, so it will be your choice in the end.

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Thanks for the input fellas.

G'day VZSV6 - Mate, on another note altogether.... Have you had any troubles with the LEDs? A couple of recent installs have had a LED that's failed for no explainable reason. Any problems, I'll set it str8.

Cheerz!

V

VZSV6

Phreddy said:
Thanks for the input fellas.

G'day VZSV6 - Mate, on another note altogether.... Have you had any troubles with the LEDs? A couple of recent installs have had a LED that's failed for no explainable reason. Any problems, I'll set it str8.

Cheerz!
actually never at all, the only one was the ignition led but it was my fault i didnt know it worked with the centre light, they are all great from what i can see. good job

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Thanks Mate - just checking! ;)

furrhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy 3.8
Hi Pheddy,
My lights are still fine. Check your handbook for the oil viscosity rating for the oil, from memory the 175 was 10w/30w but the 190 in your SV6 maybe different. I wouldn't go anywhere near a 0w rating, far to thin. Full synthetics are the way to go and you wouldn't go wrong with any of the major brands. But don't use a synthetic till at least 10,000kms otherwise the engine will not bed in properly. But once you choose an oil and a brand stick with it. Silly as it sounds but each brand and type of oil has particular wear charactistics. Hope that helps.

Rod VZ Storm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Storm ute M6
ive got the 175kw
ive been using the local holden dealer and my local mechanical workshop

Holden are using Castrol Magnetic. I think is 10/30 and its a slightly different grade to what you get at Kmart etc

The local guy is using Havoline Plus 10/30

Like the others said, dont go fully syntethic too early in a new car. And if you decide to go full on synthetic with the Mobile 1 i would change it and drive a couple of days and change it again to flush out any old oil in the system. Expenise i know, but you dont need to worry about the different oil types not mixing if you do that.

Ronaldw

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE CALAIS DEC 2007
I have the 175kw and I use what Holden recommend and that is 10w-30 GF-3 and If they wanted you to use a different level of oil they would say so, so why not use what they recommend.
The oil they sell comes in 6 litre packs and is made by "Fuchs" which is a German made oil and it is very good. It does thicken out when it gets hot and it does the job perfectly, it is the GF-3 that you have to have in the oil.
But like anything else it is a free market and you can use what ever you want.

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Thanks again everyone. The engine has about 25k on it, so I've decided to go with synthetic.

Ron, what is this "GF3" spec you refer to?? Is that some kind of friction reduction additive, or temperature rating or something?? :confused:

Hey Furrhead - glad to hear it's all going OK Mate! Tks 4 the feedback. :thumbsup: