Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Problem with Reverse Sensors with tow bar fitted

junka

MUZZA
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equipe VZ
I have one of those heavy duty removable tow bars fitted to my car. When I put the car in reverse, the reversing sensor system sounds off with a continous tone :ranting: because it is picking up the towbar in close poximity. Is there anyway to stop this, as I still want the reversing system to function with the towbar fitted. According to the VZ vehicle manual it says that the reversing sensor system can be adjusted by the Holden dealer to compenstate for the towbar. Has anyone had this done and what does it involved ?

Charg'd

Reaction score
Members Ride
ford
mate if you need to use the sensor to reverse then you shouldnt have a license

Stretchomatic

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
86 VL Berlina M5
so mcfries ur saying that he should remove something from his car that came stock on it...i can see ur logic there...i think wat hes trying to say is that even when he doesnt need them they r going off, distracting him etc...but i'm sure that ur input is valuable to u...

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
McFries said:
mate if you need to use the sensor to reverse then you shouldnt have a license
Parking sensors are bloody useful.. Especially when it's a tight reverse and the only thing behind you is a tiny car whose bonnet is lower then the vision of the rear window..

The side mirrors aren't accurate enough for you to land 2cm away from the car and know 100% that you didn't touch it..

I love my sensors..

Charg'd

Reaction score
Members Ride
ford
sorry it wasnt a personal attack, each to their own, basically i think they should be programmed for these things before leaving holden. ( another holden cant get right ) now the basis of my comment was meant to come across as, if you reply solely on these sense when you reverse then you shouldnt have a license. Shounak/Junka obviously you guys have these systems on your car, how accurate are they? Sorry for the misunderstanding i should have make my post better

clixanup

Has Left
Reaction score
junka said:
According to the VZ vehicle manual it says that the reversing sensor system can be adjusted by the Holden dealer to compenstate for the towbar. Has anyone had this done and what does it involved ?
If you have the proper trailer wiring loom from Holden, the plug socket has a reed switch in it which disables the reversing sensors when you plug your trailer in. I have a dealer fitted towbar and wiring harness, and that's how it works for me.

Last edited:

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
there is a connector that needs to be used when the towbar is fitted, this should extend the clearence area to allow for the tongue. The correct plug also has a switch in it to disable it completely when the flap on the plug is poen.

Rob

junka

MUZZA
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equipe VZ
Reverse Sensors with tow bar

My equip is fitted with sensors as standard, and no I don't rely on it soley as it is not 100% reliable.

If we used the same argument as McFries, then if you have power steering your a weener, as people of yesteryear could parallel park a giant tank without it-I wonder how many of you today could do that ? Hey, I use to own a Magna with the heavist steering on the planet and got by, you just develop stronger arm muscles and turn quickly :driving:
But, now days it is hard not to get a car without one. In the end, all these advancements make things a little easier, so enbrace them. Heck, I wonder sometimes how I even survived with power steering now that I own a Commodore.

With the way car boots are getting bigger making it harder to see want is behind you, even the best reversing skills will be useless unless you have ESP.
Face it, reverse sensors, and reversing camera in rear view mirrors will become standard sooner or later, particularly with the number of small kids getting run over lately.

Reverse sensors are great because my wife, is lously at reversing and has made a excellent job at panel beating her cars rear end :ranting:

Now, my tow bar is not a genuine Holden, as they charge an arm and a leg for it.

So has anyone had this problem with a non-gen tow bar.

clixanup

Has Left
Reaction score
junka said:
Now, my tow bar is not a genuine Holden, as they charge an arm and a leg for it.
Get the Holden wiring loom & socket installed, and then it will work properly.

I normally use the tow bar as a bargaining chip. ie: Get them to agree to a certain price with towbar & window tint... It doesn't work out more expensive that way at all.

W

wack

This is out of my manual.....VZ AWD Adventra and cross 8 handbook.

Disabling the RPA
On some occasions you may wish to turn the RPA off to prevent the constant warning tones while reversing,such as when a bicycle rack is fitted to the tow bar (a bycycle may be recoginsed as a close object by the RPA.)To turn the RPA on/off,proced as follows:
1.Ensure that the engine is turned off.
2.Open the tailgate and carefully remove the right-hand light trim cover with a flate blade screwdriver.
3.Locate the black harness conector mid way along the RPA harness.
. RPA off - disconnect the black harness connector.
. RPA on - connect the black harness connector.
4.Install the rear light trim cover and close tailgate

Tow Bar
Same procedure as above
. Tow bar fitted - Disconnect the white harness conector.
. Tow bar removed - Connect the white harness connector

I use the Disabling the RPA method when I attach my tow bar.And its not a genuine one its off my old cruiser,
I know this is in a wagon but it might be worth a look?

steve