Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ SV6/SS Bumper Removal

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
First of all, forgive me for all of the dirt on my car. I haven't had time to wash it and I have been getting dirt and mud on it from worksites.

Removing the front bumper is easier then you think. First time may be a little tricky but once you know how to do it you will be able to remove and refit it yourself in under 15 minutes. The following is a series of pictures taken by me. I will try to describe as best i can, what is happening in each picture and when you need to do.

REMOVAL

STEP 1
Pop the bonnet. Locate and remove the 3 screws as circled in red.
VZFrontBarRemoval001Medium.jpg

STEP 2
Turn the wheel full lock left (this gives you better access). Locate and remove the 2 screws circled in red. Sorry you can not actually see the screws in the picture, but trust me, they are there!
VZFrontBarRemoval002Medium.jpg

STEP 3
Turn the wheel full lock right. Locate and remove the 2 screws circled in red. Once again, sorry you can not actually see the screws in the picture.
VZFrontBarRemoval003Medium.jpg

STEP 4
Put your fingers in between the bumper and plastic inner gaurd (as shown).
VZFrontBarRemoval004Medium.jpg

Pull back, then away from the car. This may require some force. You should hear it unclip and it should sit as shown in STEP 6.

STEP 5
Repeat STEP 4 with right side of bumper.
VZFrontBarRemoval005Medium.jpg

STEP 6
The front bumper should now be sitting like the picture below on both sides.
VZFrontBarRemoval006Medium.jpg

STEP 7
All you need to do now is gently wiggle and pull the bumper until it comes off. You may need to pull the sides out a little more as you do this. This is where two people comes in handy.
VZFrontBarRemoval009Medium.jpg

STEP 8
Disconnect fog lights (if fitted). You should have enough length on the wiring to sit the bar on the ground to disconnect the lights (Thanks to VZGEN4 for that info).
VZFrontBarRemoval007Medium.jpg

VZFrontBarRemoval008Medium.jpg

NOTE
Some versions may also be fitted with 2 more screws located underneath the number plate.
VZFrontBarRemoval010Medium.jpg

REFITTING

Refitting is simple, just reverse the steps shown. To reattach the bumper to the body just get it into position and give it a gentle tap with the bottom of your fist. You should hear 2 snaps as it clips back in.

Please also note that this guide may not work for other bumper versions on the VZ

If you need more information on this, feel free to ask here or send me a PM. If this has helped you in any way, feel free to give me positive feedback points (sorry, I couldn't resist).

Troy711

Last edited:
A

Andre's SS

You serious?

My bumper is just clipped on OH CRAP!!!!!!!

Cheers Troy for the info

benzor

yawn :(
Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6!
Troy711 said:
there is no screws down the side of it in the wheel arches..?

anyone who drives their commodore remotely hard, or up steep driveways a fair bit, wont hh ave these anymore.

mines held in with the 3 at the top and thats it.

Aggro_VE

The Overseer
Reaction score
Members Ride
A lazy VE
Geez Troy I'm going to do a DIY: how to wash ya car thread :p. Ok jokes aside nice and detailed, I like to add what I do with mine is lay down a big blanket or sheet as not to scratch the bottom of the bar, only takes the slightest movement or bump. :) Troy did you have the little black self tapping plastic screw underneath which attaches to the inner guards (on both sides)?

VZGEN4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS THUNDER
Cheers Troy!

I just took my bar off and put the bottom grill in...

Also as for the spotties there's enough length on them to sit the bar on the ground.

Also found the 2 horns behind the bumper... So it looks like I've got three of them??

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
VZGEN4 said:
Cheers Troy!

I just took my bar off and put the bottom grill in...

Also as for the spotties there's enough length on them to sit the bar on the ground.

Also found the 2 horns behind the bumper... So it looks like I've got three of them??
cheers for that. positive rep points for the info :thumbsup:

BLACKVZSV8

300 rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 M6
Ive found leaving the middle screw in the top in but not tight stops the bumper falling onto the ground when youre taking the sides off. Well that was the case with the VT should be the same with the VZ ??