Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

OBDII computer diagnostic tools

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
Hi all. This is my first posting on the forum. I have always liked the idea of being able to check my car's onboard computers, engine management system etc, and in looking around for such tools, I have found the ELM327 Motoscan code reader to be a tempting diy tool for looking at my SV6. Has anyone any experience with this type of unit? This package comes with the connecting cable between the OBD socket and the Motoscan box, and the serial cable between the Motoscan box and a computer. Preferably a laptop. Some software is available, but does it translate fault/trouble codes into on screen english? (I had a VT Berlina and used the Gregory/Haynes workshop manuals when servicing it. Between them, they gave some of the trouble/fault codes and what to look for).
I think this unit is able to look at codes from VX to VZ.
Any experience with this unit or similar devices?

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
Unless it supports CAN data its no good for VZ

VTSS350

Blown VT LS1 450rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTLS1
Unless it supports CAN data its no good for VZ

Even if it supports CAN some of them still wont work with the VZ V6.

I have a scantool that supports CAN and have used it on all GENIII models, but it doesnt work on the VZ V6

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
LS1 doesnt use CAN it uses Class2 VPW comms
LS2 uses CAN
some of the generic scantools dont fully support the manufacturer specifics in the data stream.

VTSS350

Blown VT LS1 450rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTLS1
LS1 doesnt use CAN it uses Class2 VPW comms
LS2 uses CAN
some of the generic scantools dont fully support the manufacturer specifics in the data stream.

I never said LS1 used CAN. Read my post again.

I said my SCAN tool supports CAN, but it doesnt work on the VZ V6

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
I never said LS1 used CAN. Read my post again.

I said my SCAN tool supports CAN, but it doesnt work on the VZ V6

ok i misunderstood when you said
"I have a scantool that supports CAN and have used it on all GENIII models, but it doesnt work on the VZ V6"
there is some data available on the UART comms bus that if you had the definition of the data stream you should be able to read.
what brand of scantool is it?
All CAN comms is supposed to be industry standard compliant so it should read it.

the tool may have to be specifically configured to read it.
Rob

VTSS350

Blown VT LS1 450rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTLS1
It is an Auterra Scan tool.

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
yeah it looks like a good thing, not sure on the specifics but you may need to try configuring it for the saab version of the engine?

Reaction score
Members Ride
svz
I have an Elmscan5 usb and it appears to work ok on my feb06 vz. It picked up 2 trouble codes but couldn't verify that it was what the dealers reset. If that's any help.

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
OBDII CAN - Elmscan Autera Motoscan units

Hi
I have a multiple forum member reply here. It it the best way to go?

6385 Does the Elmscan 5 unit give any descriptions on a computer screen or just the code numbers?
VTSS350. The Autera Scantool does it use a computer screen or just code numbers?
Dr Bob. I had a look at the US site for the Motoscan ELM327 unit. It suggest a compatibility with CAN ISO 15765-4. Do you know if the VZ matches this standard/revision? Also is there a list of trouble/fault codes for the VZ published yet?
I have been chasing Haynes/Gregory publishers for a VZ Workshop Manual release date. The recent reply was 6 to 12 months away. Our local Holden dealer says the factory CD for the VZ is out now. About $300 buys it.