Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is the warning "service engine oil" the same as "check oil" ?

morris

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
I'm not in Australia. There are not many commodore in my country. "service engine oil" came on my monitor and I'm so affraid that I don't want to start my engine again. The manual I have doesn't have the meanings of this warning. It has just the meanings of "check oil" which tell that the oil pressure/level is low. I've checked the oil level and it was nearly full. I've called the dealer. They said they will come to my house on monday to check the engine. But, I'm just so worried about my car's engine. It's calais vz 3.6, 8,8xx km.

vy-346

Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T 6A & VH-ZXA
Don't worry about it mate its just a bug in the computer system, its just like a service reminder. There will be a different warning if its got low oil pressure, and especially since you said the oil level is full, you have no worries, just drive it.

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
its fine mate, all vz's will get it at one stage, just tell the dealer to reset the service reminder.

deffently nothing to worry about

gslrallysport

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ AWD One Tonner
Don't worry about it mate its just a bug in the computer system, its just like a service reminder.

In some overseas markets, they don't have set km service intervals, they have "service engine oil" when the car requires servicing...

The reason its a 'bug' on australian cars is because we weren't meant to have the set km reminders AND the "service engine oil"... it was a stuff up by holden's cluster supplier...

Either way, nothing to worry about, just take it back to the dealer to have it looked at...

morris

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
thankyou for your answers.
I used to have vy s 3.8. When the car was due to maintenance, it would display something like "service x0,ooo km". So I the expected the same message to come up on my VZ.

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
yep it will 1000 kms before it needs its service

NIKE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB COMMODORE TURBO.
its happened to me in 2005 SS ,they needed to reset the computer BUT when they tried the compuer didnt respond and car wouldnt start at all, they had to replace the computer , no probs since then