Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ECU Reset

Nordy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6
Hey guys

Looking to reset my ECU as since getting my exhaust and fiddling with a CAI setup my car seems to be bogging really badly and wana try this is an option.
Did a quick search and found that you remove the Yellow 60A fuse, now under the bonnet ive got 2 yellow 60A fuses and in the manual theyre listed as Engine F/L (60A) and Main F/L (60A). I was guessing I pull the Engine one but just wana double check
If anyone can tell me which one of those 2 I pull out thatd be great?

Cheers
Jamie

WAGON MAN

Gas Sleeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2 Berlina Wagon with Phreddied bits.
Just disconnect the negative terminal on the battery.

Nordy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6
Wont I then lose all settings and have to reset my head unit and what not?

helmsy

Just Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim Wagon
There is another thread here about pulling the fuse for the engine ecu to reset it without losing other settings - clock,etc.

Previous quote "You can reset the ECU back to default by taking the engine fuse out for 30 seconds. Then drive it around for about 1/2 an hour. It should get better."

Hope this helps, let us know how u go

Nordy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6
I ended up just doing the negative terminal on the battery...didnt seem to lose anything really...obviously the clock but yea thats easy fixed.
May have just been my imagination but I think car did run smoother on take-offs where i was having the problem before.

Ronaldw

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE CALAIS DEC 2007
I took my battery out due to it being flat as a pan cake,when I put the battery back in, everything was exactly as it was before I took it out, I did not have to re-set anything.
The only thing I can think of is it must write the info to a Rom Chip like they have in computers.

vz 914

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE HSV GTS , VZ UTE, VL GROUP A
same here had the battery out for 3 days and everything except for the clock naturally came up sweet.

Kung-Foo-Kamel

Reaction score
Members Ride
Custom Hilux with a V6 Ecotec
I tried the same with a SV6 and it kept all settings except the clock, didnt even have to put the pin code in for the stereo, ran exactly the same as well, if I do the same for my stock ute, it runs like **** afterwards for about a couple of minutes then it slowly gets better as it reprograms itself, I think the SV6's have some sort of backup battery, I left the battery disconnected for hours and it still wouldnt reset, even tried my snap-on scan tool and theres nothing in there to reset the ECU as well???? got me beet, I have noticed a few things that differ from one VZ to the next, some have 2x 02 sensors some have 4x 02 sensors, some have 2x 6 wire 02 sensors with 2x 4 wire 02 sensors, some have 2 cats some have 4 cats, its all very confusing :bang:

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Im going off my VR/VS here, but all you need to do is remove power from the ECU for about 10 seconds. Disconnecting the battery will do this, or removing the 20A engine fuse. Couldnt tell you if the VZ is working off a similar thing without looking at a wiring diagram. Dont expect magic though, it just resets variables to default. When your car starts wearing and tearing, the ecu can adjust certain variables, within tight ranges, so that the car will still run at its peak. Obviously there should be minimal wear to a VZ, so the values being used by the car should still be fairly close to default.

BLACK VZ SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SS
Hi Guys,

The fastest way to reset ECU is to take negative terminal off the battery. Pump the brake pedal till its tight. Turn the head light switch on for 10 seconds then off.

The above procedure completly drains power. No need to wait around. Plug the negative terminal to battery and reset time on the stereo clock.

I did it on my car and the car is definetly running better. Takes off's are smoother and the idle is alot better. Its been rough since the 10k service.

Last edited: