Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Problems

Canopyed

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ storm ute
hey mates, this forum is really interesting, Yous all know ****loads of stuff!!

Well i ahve a bit of an issue id like to sort out. My VZ Storm ute seems to use more petrol than when i first bought it!! Lost power and grunt all of a sudden, It consumed a bit of oil about 6 weeks ago (2.5 liters!!!!! and holden said its normal!! F***en crazy if you ask me!) had a cat back system fitted which works fine for the moment! The engine ran hot for about 6 moths 2 months ago ( and holden said, belive it or not, "its normal for an engine to run warmer once you get some ks on it from new!!!! just as i thought the opposite...) I really think this car has something wrong with the ECU. Has anyone experienced any of this? what yous think?

This ute is a work vehicle and with the canopy and the tools its prob carrying about 150 Kg more than a ute with no canopy! In my opinion these 175s lack lots of torque but have plenty of power!! What should i do to improve this low end tourque!! Is the Expensive Powerchip option my only way?

Thanks all

Luca

Kung-Foo-Kamel

Reaction score
Members Ride
Custom Hilux with a V6 Ecotec
Dont stuff around, if its a Auto ute there as slow as hell, just change the diff to at least a 3.08 and it will go as hard if not harder than any Ecotec, these VZ 4sp Autos are running 2.77/2.78/2.79 diffs, dont ask me why, maybe they thaught the extra power would compansate, but it doesnt unless you have the 6sp manual, even the 5sp Auto could do with a better diff ratio

I had a 2004 VZ sedan come in to work for a service and during a test drive it layed me back in the seat and chirped the tyres between gears, this thing was a bog stock sedan with stock tyres, but once on the hoist I seen the diff was a 3.08, compared with all the other VZ autos this thing went like a bat out a hell

Me and my boss bought our utes at the same time, he got the Auto I got the manual, he sold his after about 4 months and got SV6 as it was a huge dissapointment to him in power/responsiveness and he drives like some old dudes grandpa

helmsy

Just Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim Wagon
Where would be the best place to pick up a diff? Which are best and whats available for the 4sp auto 175's (and how much)?

StevieP

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VZ SS 6L
im gonna go a 3.46 in mine, i believe once fitted you can go to holden and they just change the ratio over to 3.46 and that fixes your speedo and odometer

Kung-Foo-Kamel

Reaction score
Members Ride
Custom Hilux with a V6 Ecotec
Where would be the best place to pick up a diff? Which are best and whats available for the 4sp auto 175's (and how much)?

I know theres a wreckers on ebay thats selling 3.07 open center stck diffs for about $150 to $250, otherwise 3.46's can be bought second hand for about $500 to $700 from most wreckers

im gonna go a 3.46 in mine, i believe once fitted you can go to holden and they just change the ratio over to 3.46 and that fixes your speedo and odometer

Thats the ratio I was going for as well, I was wondering what to do about the spedo, in older vehicles we would replace the gear on the end of the spedo cable but these days thay have a magnetic speed pulse generator

twb1979

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 Black CDTi Astra 6sp manual
StevieP and K-F-K,

Can you keep us posted as to how you go with yours.

Be interested to know if it does anything to your fuel economy.

helmsy

Just Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim Wagon
Thanks guys. Any ideas how much Holden charge to fix the Odo/Speedo.

Would these diffs be LSD?

StevieP

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VZ SS 6L
i read on another forum holden charged a guy $55 for all of 3mins work to input the ratio.

Canopyed

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ storm ute
Sorry for my late reply but i was away for the easter break!!

Happy Easter!!

So your saying that my 4 speed auto alloytech 175 is a heap of **** when it comes to performance partially coz of the diff. But if i change the diff to at least a 3.08 the performance would be more than acceptable!!

Well my diff has lots of trouble as it has lots of "slack" in it and nocks and trembles and on some occations seems to hesitate the rotation of one of the wheels. Holdens have owned up to their **** diff internals and have promised to replace it with a brand new one that has the necessary modification to help the problem. Now should i ask them to replace it with a 3.08 diff instead? My diff is LSD Does 3.08 come in LSD? Will the engine sit at higher revs on the highway? what would be the best diff to go for keeping in mind it is a work car and i do lots of driving in city and highway!!

cheers people

helmsy

Just Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim Wagon
I have seen a 3.08 LSD diff for sale for about $450. It's from a VYSS Ute.

Would this be ok for the 4 speed auto (175 Alloytec) wagon and is the price ok?