Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Biggest Battery for VZ

Rod VZ Storm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Storm ute M6
Hi Guys
Ive just fitted a new battery to my V6 ute and thought id post up what I found to help others. (sorry for the long post, I'll explain my process) I was running the original battery for 2 1/2 years and 50K's with no problems but i normally replace my batteries every 2-3 years to err on the safe side so not to get stranded somewhere. I have driving lights, run two way radios and also tow a trailer with additional clearance lighting etc ..... so i wanted the biggest battery I could fit in. I didnt want to buy a nasty non-chain brand battery.

I did a moderate amount of looking around at various retail automotive stores and Kmart etc. Everyone had the standard size batterys in stock (around 430CCA and 85mins RC) or a slightly bigger capacity. Most of the battery manufacturers web sites gave a couple of choices for the VZ, but nothing much bigger than standard. The VZ needs a battery with botton side ledges on the long sides so the clamp can hold it down. A number of the marine and 4x4 batteries do not have the ledges on them. They have smooth sides and they only suit clamping down with a bar across the top.

My local inderpendant mechanic sells Century Batterys and he rung his rep for me. They tracked down a couple of options.
I went with a :
Century NS70L
520 CCA & 110mins RC
Cost me $150. Im not saying this is cheap. Im happy to give my local guy my business and loyalty.

This is a conventional screw cap lead acid battery. Its about 255mm long and just fits in the battery tray with 5mm length to spare. Width is the same as the OEM battery. Its about 20mm higher than the OEM battery, but the bonnet still shuts safely. It has a 2 year warranty

EDIT: There was some concern since I originally posted this that the VZ needs a calcium alloy style battey in it. My mechanic has since spoken to the Century technical people who claimed this battery is a calcium style and is fine to use in my vehicle. Im only stating what I was told. There is no stickers saying its the calcium type.

Note: Im not associated with Century in anyway. I think a few other brands have the NS70L size as well, according to google

Im not saying this is the biggest capacity battery available for the VZ, as ive seen AGM Absorbed Glass Mat style batteries with more CCA in a similar physical size but pricing is upwards of $200.

I assume that V8's and sedans would have the same battery and engine bay arrangement as my V6 ute. I hope that this info can help some other members that run extra accessories or have sound systems installed in their car.

cheers
Rod

Last edited:

Ronaldw

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE CALAIS DEC 2007
I was looking for a battery for my parents car which is a "VT Berlina" which is using a Exide P460C dual fit.
I sent a e-mail to Exide and got a reply from Denis Dwyer Marketing Director Australia Pacific For Exide Technoligies.
He said the correct battery for the VT on is the P460G which is made from Calcium/Antimonial AG9 as specified by Holden.The reason is from the VT on the charging rate is 14.4v-14.6 whereas the older technology of the P460c/D only charge at 13.8v-14.2v which is enough to cause the previous type or lower spec. batteries to start to fail at an earlier age.

Astranomical

Ecotec just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Members Ride
AH Astra (daily), VX Berlina, VN Calais, Mazda 626
I assume that V8's and sedans would have the same battery and engine bay arrangement as my V6 ute.

In stock form, yes, V6 VZ sedans, wagons and ute are all exactly the same under the bonnet.

Rod VZ Storm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Storm ute M6
I was looking for a battery for my parents car which is a "VT Berlina" which is using a Exide P460C dual fit. I sent a e-mail to Exide and got a reply from Denis Dwyer Marketing Director Australia Pacific For Exide Technoligies. He said the correct battery for the VT on is the P460G which is made from Calcium/Antimonial AG9 as specified by Holden.The reason is from the VT on the charging rate is 14.4v-14.6 whereas the older technology of the P460c/D only charge at 13.8v-14.2v which is enough to cause the previous type or lower spec. batteries to start to fail at an earlier age.

Thats a VERY INTERESTING COMMENT you make Ronald. Thankyou for raising it. I think I might investigate (google) futher over the weekend. I have always wondered why they use the different materials.

Id be dissapointed if I have to take my new battery out and go back down to the standard size (but in Calcium/Antimonial AG9)

Rod

benzor

yawn :(
Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6!
Optima Bluetop/Yellowtop For the win :)

satos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
Autobarn has batteries up to 600 cca.

VT Berlina 07

15.37 @ 147 KPH
Reaction score
Members Ride
96 EF2 Futura I6 Auto
Autobarn has batteries up to 600 cca.

well thats all good but a good battery for running lights/radios etc has to have some reserve ie RC so the one above is a 520cca-cold cranking amps and 110 rc-reserve capacity/ 110 amp hours. :thumbsup:

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
If most of the electrical equipment that you are running operates mainly when the engine is operating, then you shouldn't have too much trouble replacing used cuurent from your existing battery. If you want to use your accessories a lot while the engine is not running, consider installing a 2nd battery with a suitable isolator. That way both batteries will be maintained by the alternator. You can wire high-draw items onto the 2nd battery thus preserving your starting battery. Some Isolators even have the facility to start your engine if the primary battery is flat - by using the 2nd battery. This type of setup is common on many 4wd's that do lots of trips with fridges etc etc. In the long run it might work out cheaper than trying to source a larger and possibly unsuitable battery for your starter.

VT Berlina 07

15.37 @ 147 KPH
Reaction score
Members Ride
96 EF2 Futura I6 Auto
thats true but have you looked in a VZ enginebay?