Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

alloytech v6

sv9946

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ss ute hopefully, or ss-v
edit remove post thanks

Last edited:

f1tzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T Ute manual
4 speed autos are crud in a box. not worth the metal they are made of.

basicly thats the alloytec engine in a nutshell

sv9946

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ss ute hopefully, or ss-v
edit remove post thanks

Last edited:

helmsy

Just Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim Wagon
I tend to agree with you. I am a holden man through and through but have been disappointed with holden's efforts with the alloytec. I believe the engine/driveline package could have been so much more with some r&d.

You just need to drive either European or even Japanese cars to see the refinement that goes into their engines/cars.

I haven't particularly liked the look of the fords but after driving a few of them I would agree they are a nice package.

f1tzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T Ute manual
I find it very very hard to like the alloytec. sounds homo, has 0 go in it until 4000 rpm and then all the fun is gone by 5500 and it doesnt sound like it enjoys being in that rev range at all, the electronic throttle is stupid especially on manuals. the ford 6 is miles better than the alloytec, sounds like its always just taking it easy which is totally opposite to the alloytec. next ute is gonna be an xr6 turbo.

1 of the best 6's ive been in is a vw golf VR6. quick little cars and my mates has done 250000 klms and hasnt missed a beat. loves being in the upper rev range. and sounds awesome too.

vztrt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Exec
Mate I drive both Holden's and Fords.
In all seriousness get what make you happy when you drive. At the end of the day YOU will be driving it. I know some people cant see past a badge, but if you think one car is a better package then the other then why waste your money on a car simply due to brand loyalty.
Not telling ya what car to buy, but just to have a look what the market is offering.

AttaBoy

WTF?!?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
I hate elect throttle. even worse on the VE's I've driven. Response is quite bad. Holden seriously need to ramp up the throttle responses in alloytecs.

For now I'd stick to cable thanks..

HoldenMan7

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 6 SPEED MANUAL
well soon i'm going to be looking at getting a newer car

i've driven almost everything on the market thanks to my work (perents car dealership) and now they've convinced me i should sell the vs and replace it with a ute, either a vz or ve. this is due to the fact that they think i should be driving a late model commodore myself so as other people think they should update too (fair enough, i can sorta understand that)

now whilst i like the idea of a new flashy ride, due to the victorian p plate fighting brigade it will need to be a six. as all the above mentioned vehicles have an alloytech for the v6 variant it will be one those powering it.

my problem is out of all the drivelines in the cars i've seen in commodores, i've never hated one as much as the alloytech. the whining timing chains, delayed response of the electric throttle, lack of any low down torque, uninspiring diff ratio, **** gearbox's (4 speed orignally from the 70's, 5 speed auto that it right at its torque carrying capacity and has **** response time when manually changing with a/s, and cheap notchy 6 spd manual) terrible fuel economy compared to an ecotec when driven to the same etc etc

i have a 600,000km vl n/a manual paddock basher which i can honestly say has a better low down torque curve in terms of drivability than a brand new ve commodore

basically i'm not creating an alloytech bashing thread, although i do beleive holden had the capability to build a lot better motor. i'm asking how do these things react to a decent tune and exhaust? my biggest hate with them is the poxy throttle repsonse, no torque for towing, and ****house sound. i can live with the fuel bill, even though it is worse than the ecotec.

i'm not really interested in boost, as i've said i've always wanted something with decent torque. so as soon as the four years go-p plates go, so will this car so i don't want to lose 5k more than i already would on a forced induction setup. as that means i'm only 5k further away from the car i actually want at the end of the four years

also what would people recommend in gearbox's? i'm a manual man but after how many i've heard of and seen replaced (aisin warner 6 speed) i'm not real keen there. hate the four speed for its old origins and clunky gear changes, and don't really like the 5 speed for its constant choice of wrong ratios and slow changes when using A/S

also saying that, the amount of vz diffs i've seen ****ed lately is mad. and even a few seized motors

anyhow, chuck me your opinion

Hey Mate

Why dont you have a drive of the VY ecotec 5 speed manual, i chose that over the VZ, and havent looked back since ??

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
not trying to cause a fight, but i think most people on here are whinging, give holden a break they are still learning on how to develop the engine into a better package, let us not forget this engine has only been into production for only just 3 years,
holden knows it flaws and are working on them, drive a vz than a ve you will notice immediatley the diffences in the throttle responce and take off and sound, hell we have had a the darn things on brake (ve)....

the fords barra engine is quite a good engine, remembering the fact this engine basic design is 20 or more years old so ford have redeveloped and revised the engine to what it is today, so give the alloytec a chance to grow into something better in years to come,

ive got no problems with my vz, chirps of the mark everytime if i wish, the only thing that makes it feel shoddy is the torque management between gear changes

if your worried about the sound on a vz remove the snorkle on the air box, it gives it real nice meaty grow, try it, remove the plastic cover on the radiator, the pull out the snorkle, it just sits in there, then take it out for a drive, when you give it a bit of a boot you can hear the differance,

andrew