Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Buying a VZ at Auction

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
What should I look for?

Had a look at 7 VZ's Friday. 6 looked very clean under the bonnet - 1 had sand on the chassis rails and water stains around the engine bay.

None has oil leaks that I could see.

Also I know about the fuel gauge problem - is there anything else I should look out for?

andrewmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 VE SS
Keep an eye out for leaks from power steering they are prone to leaking hoses, (if you can start them) listen for rattles on start up.
Just a few little issues im aware of

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Keep an eye out for leaks from power steering they are prone to leaking hoses, (if you can start them) listen for rattles on start up.
Just a few little issues im aware of

A car yard salesman I spoke to on Friday was saying the VY is still the No1 choice as it's the last of that motor - the VZ being new has had some problems!! I'm thinking what problems??? He lost me when he started talking up the Fords in the lot.

Any engine can spin a bearing or get a death rattle - just depends on the way it went together and how its serviced over time.

Do the VZ's have any tranny issues?

I'm thinking the brakes could be sus at around 80,000kms with new rotors on the cards. But that seems to be the norm now - rotors and pads changed at the same time.

Scratches in the centre console facia could be an issue for some - but new bits from Holden can fix that cheaply.

What about the rear end - tyre wear? I'm not going to lower it at all.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
A car yard salesman I spoke to on Friday was saying the VY is still the No1 choice as it's the last of that motor - the VZ being new has had some problems!! I'm thinking what problems??? He lost me when he started talking up the Fords in the lot.

Any engine can spin a bearing or get a death rattle - just depends on the way it went together and how its serviced over time.

Do the VZ's have any tranny issues?

I'm thinking the brakes could be sus at around 80,000kms with new rotors on the cards. But that seems to be the norm now - rotors and pads changed at the same time.

Scratches in the centre console facia could be an issue for some - but new bits from Holden can fix that cheaply.

What about the rear end - tyre wear? I'm not going to lower it at all.

engine problems, pfff, i work on these at least twice a week and have never come across one that leaks engine oil, or abnormal noises, these engine would have to be 100% better than ecotec quality wise, longetivity hasnt been proven yet as its new but should last a few hundred thousand with out trouble,

power steering leaks is just a commodore thing, just tighten the hose clamps and she'll be all good,

4l60e is old school but updated a bit, shifts are smooth, 5l65e in the 190's are close to the 4l's but with an extra cog,

tyre wear problems have been rectified in the vy/vz, mine is wearing dead even but they are alignable so its not an issue > heavy towing will wear em a bit but expected

andrewmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 VE SS
What were you looking at getting ??
Alloytec - 190 - Gen 3 - Manual - auto ??
That will prob narrow it down a bit too haha

f1tzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T Ute manual
the manual tranny is good if the clutch is a little on the pussy side of the fence if they can be driven check for the diff backlash

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Getting the V6 auto (white probably) with between 48,000 and 97,000kms.

There is 7 to choose from this auction on Monday.

I cant drive them, but they all look good underneath bar 1. (1 has sand & water damage)

They are all dent free and show little wear inside. One has a scratched up centre console.

The biggest issue to date would be the bad fuel gauge - else they make good power, return OK fuel economy. Have a reasonable ride quality.

The better half should be very happy with a VZ with around 50 to 60,000kms on the clock.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
engine problems, pfff, i work on these at least twice a week and have never come across one that leaks engine oil, or abnormal noises, these engine would have to be 100% better than ecotec quality wise, longetivity hasnt been proven yet as its new but should last a few hundred thousand with out trouble,

power steering leaks is just a commodore thing, just tighten the hose clamps and she'll be all good,

4l60e is old school but updated a bit, shifts are smooth, 5l65e in the 190's are close to the 4l's but with an extra cog,

tyre wear problems have been rectified in the vy/vz, mine is wearing dead even but they are alignable so its not an issue > heavy towing will wear em a bit but expected

Sales talk on the engine - he must have had 2 many VY's in stock.

I'm with you on they are better than the ecotec. Not proven over time yet - but if they were going to be a problem we would have seen it by now I think.

I'm going to risk it and get the VZ - bugga the fuel gauge thing - just keep it full a fuel = no problemo.

Thanks for the replys.:thumbsup:

It's off the the auction I go - Hi Ho. (via the internet)

andrewmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 VE SS
Cool good on ya mate
So us pics as soon as ya et her and enjoy

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
Sales talk on the engine - he must have had 2 many VY's in stock.

I'm with you on they are better than the ecotec. Not proven over time yet - but if they were going to be a problem we would have seen it by now I think.

I'm going to risk it and get the VZ - bugga the fuel gauge thing - just keep it full a fuel = no problemo.

Thanks for the replys.:thumbsup:

It's off the the auction I go - Hi Ho. (via the internet)

the fuel guage is covered by warranty, im guessing you are aiming for a late 05 early 06 plated, which means you will have another year or so of nvw left,

when i got mine with the fuel getting low in the tank it would sometimes say there is no fuel with alarms going of its nut then start it up 5 minutes later with the guage reading neally half full:bang:

the new software has fixed the unstability but it under estimates (which isnt a bad thing) eg it says there is 5 litres of fuel left but i can only get 50 in,

when you get it go over it find defects then say hello to your local favorite dealer to have items replaced, i had my car for only a week before it was booked in to get door handles, and numerous interior parts replaces