Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ignition/steering lock problems passenger door lock

timbuk3

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004vz commodore exec auto
Just wondering if anyone else has been having problems with ignition lock. I purchased the car 2nd hand vz approx 9 months ago. Now done 86k kms. Had no warning that any probs. Will need to get a new ignition barrell, keys & reprogrammed to the car. Seems a very unusal problem for a fairly newish car. Anyone else with or herd of similar prob?

Also front passenger door is starting to not lock. I know of this happening on a vx & vs.

Any help/comments appreciated

CNULTR

SLEEP3r
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 25th Anniversary II
My dads Caprice is an 05 model and is doing the same thing on and off not constantly with the ignition barrel.

=SKB=

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone else has been having problems with ignition lock. I purchased the car 2nd hand vz approx 9 months ago. Now done 86k kms. Had no warning that any probs. Will need to get a new ignition barrell, keys & reprogrammed to the car. Seems a very unusal problem for a fairly newish car. Anyone else with or herd of similar prob?

Also front passenger door is starting to not lock. I know of this happening on a vx & vs.

Any help/comments appreciated

Still under warranty? Sounds like an expensive problem. Who has told you to replace it? Holden or an auto elec?

2cool

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 SV6
About the barrel - i dont know
My VZ started to UNLOCK ITSELF, i would lock it at night and in the morning it was unlocked, holden said that the door connectors were wet, they cleaned them and it is all good now

timbuk3

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004vz commodore exec auto
tow truck driver this morning mentioned that ignition lock problems are more common than u think. I'm from city of about 100k people & he has seen this a bit. He also mentioned sum fords have the same prob..Car dealer mentioned that there seemed to be a bit of a bad batch of ignition barrels. I would get your dad to get it looked at, at his next service.

pippy

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VS Executive
Steering Lock

I've had a 98 vs Statesman and a 95 vs exec in the past 3 years and both of them have had the steering locks jam on. They are a real pain to get off, cut it, drill out the rivets or smash it while trying not to damage your dash that's pretty much your options.
Seems to be quite a common problem, or maybe I just have really bad luck.

bj42turbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN Executive
As others have said it it is a VERY common problem from VN onwards and we are now starting to see VY and VZ and even the odd VE although they have a different type of key.

The best way is to have a new cylinder installed keyed up to your key, should cost you between $180 to $250 depending on the Locksmith to come out. Assuming you dont do it your self.

Dazz

**EDIT** Just an interesting observation the ratio holden/ford ignition replaced would be 500-1000 Commodore ignitions to 1 Ford broken ignition cylinder replaced due to wear.

johnom

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive 3.6 wagon
I had my ignition lock freeze on my 06 VZ only 69,000kms yesterday. Had to have it towed to my place, now the work starts. Had a quick look at the plastic coloum shroud and can't see any screws, but 2 tabs with small squares punched on them. Do I need to remove the steering wheel? Do I need to remove the lower cover above the pedals? Does the battery need to be disconnected? Any help much appriceated.

4XRD-VZ Calais

Reaction score
Members Ride
EK Civic/AE111 Levin
I had my ignition lock freeze on my 06 VZ only 69,000kms yesterday. Had to have it towed to my place, now the work starts. Had a quick look at the plastic coloum shroud and can't see any screws, but 2 tabs with small squares punched on them. Do I need to remove the steering wheel? Do I need to remove the lower cover above the pedals? Does the battery need to be disconnected? Any help much appriceated.

No mate.. I dont think you need to remove the steering wheel. And you also dont need to remove the lower cover. Only the cover around the indicator stalks need to be removed. AND YES!!.. please disconnnect the battery. (Make sure you know your radio code!) If you do not disconnect the battery.. and start fixing your ignition cylinder, you could accidently deploy the airbags!!. (The yellow wires!!)

4XRD-VZ Calais

Reaction score
Members Ride
EK Civic/AE111 Levin
I also have a 05 VZ Calais with 64000kms with the same sortta problem. The ignition cylinder wont allow the key to turn and start the car!!. The key can be inserted but not turned.!! This happened while the car was parked at home (THANK GOD!!!).

I have been told by the only Holden dealers in Fiji, that the ignition barrel features some kind of 'safety pin' that unlocks when you insert the key and then allows you to start the car. Now in my case, that 'safety pin' is either seized or broken and I have to source another one from Aus.

Now the car has been like this for over a week now. They have found the part and it should be comming this week.

I have received a quote of FJD$1000 (ex. labour)!!!!

Hopefully.. this will be covered when I sell the Calais.!