Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Steering wheel controls light up at night?

azzss

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY 9.5 SSV Sportswagon M6 & 08 prado D4D GXL M6
G'day all, i'm interested to know anyone with a excutive,acclaim,sv6 etc weather or not your radio on the steering wheel light up with the lights on. My ss does but a acclaim (also a vz) we have in the family does not. I thought a blown fuse etc but i've been told that these models they didn't light up. Seems a bit strange i reckon as they look the same only ss buttons are black and acclaim grey.
Cheers.

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
What you've heard is exactly right there mate. SS, Calais, Berlina, and SV6 Autos DO light up, other models don't.

It comes down to the number of connections through the "clockspring" - that's the twirly thing between your steering wheel and the column. It has a flexible ribbon type cable in there, which brings the electrical connections from the fixed column to the rotating wheel. Lower end models don't have as many contacts, and the lighting circuit isn't run through. SV6 Autos do light up, becuase they had to bring the lighting circuit up for the shift paddles, so I guess they figured they'd do the stereo buttons as well.

I gave it a try (I have a SV6 manual), but found out that the contacts simply aren't run through (after having to remove the steering wheel and buzzing it out with a multimeter). I asked about the upmarket clockspring, and the price is over $300 plus GST!! I decided that it wan't quite THAT important for my steering wheel buttons to be lit! ;)

Cheerz!

bludeck

Wishlist = Blowa
Reaction score
Members Ride
jj
so is that the only way to light them suckers up??

Law84

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Executive 3.6L V6
I don't think my VZ lights up. Only had it for two months though, haven't paid attention to that.

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
bludeck - afraid so mate. The thing is you have to get connections from the fixed steering column to the rotating wheel, and it's the clockspring that does this. In the lower end models there just aren't enough connections through the clockspring, the higher end models use a different one with more connections running through it.

Law84 - in an exec, you'll find that they don't light up. Same thing, too few connections through the standard clockspring. You could fit a up-market clockspring (will cost over 300 smackers), and then you'd also need to add wiring to the harnesses both in the steering column AND the wheel. Plus you'll have to fit the LEDs and resistors to the button pods on the wheel. (yes, the lower end models actually have different button pods as well. The positions are there on the circuit boards for the LEDs and resistors, but they're not fitted!) :bang:

I gave up and just decided to not have the buttons light up. ;)

bludeck

Wishlist = Blowa
Reaction score
Members Ride
jj
for 300 smakaroo's im sure i can live without it!
cheers phreddy

Law84

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Executive 3.6L V6
Law84 - in an exec, you'll find that they don't light up. Same thing, too few connections through the standard clockspring. You could fit a up-market clockspring (will cost over 300 smackers), and then you'd also need to add wiring to the harnesses both in the steering column AND the wheel. Plus you'll have to fit the LEDs and resistors to the button pods on the wheel. (yes, the lower end models actually have different button pods as well. The positions are there on the circuit boards for the LEDs and resistors, but they're not fitted!) :bang:

I gave up and just decided to not have the buttons light up. ;)

Yeah, it's not a big deal anyway. I love my commie as it is!

Gridlocked

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII SV6 Commodore
Agree with the above findings re no lighting circuits were allowed for through the lower spec'd clock spring assemblies. I'm wondering if it's possible to use the horn circuit as a power source?