Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine Oil Nulon 10w-30

Law84

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Executive 3.6L V6
Went to Autobarn today and grabbed myself 5L of this Nulon 10W-30 High Tech Fast Flowing engine oil along with coolant and some Dexron III.

It claims to be "top of the range" selection of motor oils with "Advanced Additive Technology" and 36% less friction than that of industry standard motor oils.

The advertisement of those claims on the bottle has convinced me to try it. Has anyone had experience with this Engine Oil, what's your feedback?

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
for a start your gunna need another 1.5 litres lol, give it a go see if you like it, what it says on the bottle can mean jack tho,

just curious what sort of coolant did you get? brand, colour, concentrate or p/mix

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
nulon oils are ok, but top of the range oils are brands like"royal purple","redline","fuchs" and the sort...nulon dont ahve a broad range of engine oils... but i would personally be running a 10w40 synthetic oil in the alloytec cos they are prone to having some cold start noises when using thinner oils

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
nulon oils are ok, but top of the range oils are brands like"royal purple","redline","fuchs" and the sort...nulon dont ahve a broad range of engine oils... but i would personally be running a 10w40 synthetic oil in the alloytec cos they are prone to having some cold start noises when using thinner oils

funny you should say that, ive got 5w-30 in it currently and have never heard an odd noise at cold start but i get rattling for a sec or two when hot, timing chain tensioner isnt it, that oil will be dumped in the next week or so tho

Law84

Reaction score
Members Ride
just curious what sort of coolant did you get? brand, colour, concentrate or p/mix

I didn't even realise what brand, turns out to be Nulon Long Life Pre-mixed top-up. Red colour and on the front label it has V6 Alloytec as one of the specs.

Law84

Reaction score
Members Ride

Regarding the cold start: "It exhibits excellent high temperature stability and low temperature cold start performance to cater for all operating conditions. Excellent detergent and dispersant properties protect against engine sludge and deposit formation. Phosphorus levels are controlled to give excellent wear protection whilst meeting the Australian Motoring Industry agreements to ensure prolonged life of catalytic converters."

How much of it is true I don't know, guess will have to wait and see. Anyone else used this b4?

fullaaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ
Of course all oil manufacturers are going to say our products are the best 'excellent high tempt stability bla bla'. Put it in comparison to all those shampoo and makeup ads you see on TV, they are claming different crap but in the end they are all basically all the same. If you find the nulon to be a good oil then stick with that, Don't treat engine oil like a vending machine at work e.g. coke on a monday, sprite on a tuesday, fanta on a wednesday. just do your homework, find a decent oil and stick to that. sorry to get off track but thats my opinion lol.

Law84

Reaction score
Members Ride
fullaaa, what oil do you use?

fullaaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ
mobil1, used it for the last 3 services and found it to be a good oil. expensive though. alot of people here will say it is overpriced which it is, and to make things worse it comes in 5L bottles whereas the alloytec takes 6.5 so your out of pocket about 160 bucks just for an oil change. There are other oil alternatives though but one i would stay well clear of is castrol, alot of mechanics wont have anythin to do with the stuff

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
nah mate they come in litre bottles aswell.... they might just be ripping you off and saying they dont ahve litre bottles...