Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wiring Spot Lights On VZ

coffscruza

coffscruza
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz commodore/ toyota landcruiser
Hi there, im hoping someone can help me out. Ive put a set of spotlights on my VZ wagon and when I wired up to the back of drivers side headlight, I found a wire that triggered on high beam, but when I turn head lights off the spotlights turn back on. Turn auxillary switch off and they go off.
I have now disconnected it to find out what to do. I have put test light across the wire I used when the lights are off and i have power, but turn head lights on and there is now power on that wire till I turn High beam on.

Hope there is some one that can help us out.
Thanks Geoff

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Is this similar to what you are trying to achieve?
029.jpg

Last edited:

coffscruza

coffscruza
Reaction score
Members Ride
Benboy I dont have the lights on the bar but have them set up like your number bracket set up.

and the wire I used isnt a earth wire. If you stand behind the head light and look at the plug on drivers side it is the top left wire that seem to be for the highbeam :bang::bang::bang:

its real frastrating when it want work the way its meant to...

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
ok, have used relays? if you havnt use two, one for each light, have you got the wiring mixed up on the relay? its quite easy,

anyway try this,

this rough diagram and is pretty scetchy but you get the idea, its a very easy setup and works a treat, it gives you maximum power to your lights and is wired in parrallel, so if one bulb goes the other will still work

the bright red wire Pin 30 needs a fuse close to the battery,

the bright green wire, is the trigger wire for the relays, if you get these near the headlight, strip the shielding and solder the connection and tape up generously, do not use scotch locks they are dodgy and will cause corrosion and will cause deterioration in headlight performance long term

other than that good luck

Attachments

• poor wiring diagram.JPG
    poor wiring diagram.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 30,438

coffscruza

coffscruza
Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for that Andyman, Igot a wiring lume with relay with switch from supercheap auto, ill check the harness out and make sure they havnt made a mistake on it. Thanks again.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Hi Geoff, I haven't included a diagram as I think you should be able to follow the steps without too much trouble.

Obviously the way you have wired the relay (I presume that you have one) is incorrect.

The VZ uses Neutral switching on most (probably all) devices in the vehicle. This means (as I understand it) that devices such as headlights have power to them at all times and the switching is by neutral switching (via the computer).
What does this mean to wiring up driving lights? It means that the relay has to have an active power supply to it at all times and is switched on and off by a neutral connection to/from the high beam relay via an independent switch somewhere inside the vehicle. This is the legal way to do it.

Now for the wiring.....

BEWARE that you will be working close to active wires and battery and I suggest you disconnect the Negative battery terminal to be on the safe side.

The relay that you are using for the d/lights will have at least 4 terminals on it. They will be numbered 30 - 85 - 86- and 87

Terminal 30 is for active power in from the battery via relay of 50 amps - which is what I have used.

Terminal 86 is the Positive switching for/of the relay and I have just run a small jumper across from Terminal 30 - to supply power for that purpose.

Terminal 87 (you may have a relay with double outlets all that means is one outlet for each light) is connected to the lights. This is the power supply for the lights.

Terminal 85 is now the Neutral (Negative) switching wire. As stated earlier, to be legal you should have a switch inside the vehicle so that you can disable the d/lights i.e. they will not illuminate every time you activate high beam. So you will have two (2) wires running through the firewall to the inside of the vehicle to an on/off switch. At the engine end of these wires, one goes to Terminal 85 and the other goes to the neutral switching wire of the high beam relay. This can be located drivers side beneath long (30cm) black plastic cover that lifts off. The h/beam relay should be the third (3rd) from the front - check the diagram on the inside of the fuse/relay cover/lid.

At this stage and before connecting the switching wire to the high beam relay you can test your connections by using a jumper lead (if the switching wire isn't long enough), to connect the wire to the Negative terminal of the battery. The d/lights should illuminate. If they don't, check your connections and make sure that you have a good (GOOD) earth from the d/lights (I ran mine directly to the negative battery terminal). If all is OK you can now proceed with the next step. p.s. don't forget to reconnect battery terminal before running this test.

Now you need to locate the blue with yellow stripe wire exiting from beneath this (h/beam) relay and using an inline connector 'tap' into it. To access this wire I suggest that you undo the two retaining bolts for the fuse holder and disconnect it from the vertical snap connector on the engine side of the fuse holder. You can then gently lift the complete assembly and with the aid of a small mirror (and light - you'll need the help of another pair of hands for this) locate the blue/yellow wire. You could be lucky like me and find that there is a little bit of slack in it enough to allow the connector to be placed and then squeezed together (with the wire coming from the drivers compartment switch) with long nose pliers. Before putting it back together make sure that the in-line connector has made contact and is activating your d/lights when you have the headlights on high beam. Don't forget to reassemble the fuse/relay assembly - pushing it down onto the snap/click connector (engine side) and replacing two bolts.

Good luck with it.

Benboy

coffscruza

coffscruza
Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for your help guys Ill attack it this weekend as Ive been flat out and havnt had time to look at them.

thanks once again.
Geoff

Marb

Reaction score
Members Ride
Adventra
Hi all,

I just got myself an Adventra and I'm wanting to put a light bar on it. I've tried to wire it up and I have a relay and I thought I'd try it before I ran all of the wires. My problem is splicing it to the high beam wire. I think I have the right one (green) but when the normal lights are on the light bar is on and when I switch to high beam it turns the light bar off. And when the lights are turned off all together the light bar comes on again. Please help

Quicky078

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs commodore
Hey guys I put light bar in mates vf this morning I wired it by I think it 85 to earth 30 power 86 to high beam An 87 to bar I put a fuse on the wire for 30 but with the switch on car I just ran the power wire for 30 to it so it goes from supply to switch to relay is this right I see that your diagram uses the high beam wire to switch An the way I've done it it all working fine but don't want any problems later from it being incorrect

Last edited: