Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Alarm/Key Issues

BullittSV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Commodore SV6
Hey I had a problem getting into my car Monday morning last week, and was wondering if anyone could shed some light on it?

I had just been away for about 10 days and was about to hop into my car to go to work on a very cold morning.

So pressed the unlock button on my key...nothing happened.

Tried again, still nothing. Tried all the buttons several times, none of my buttons worked.

So instead of going back inside to get the spare key I used the key to unlock the doors and it opened no worries....then the alarm came on.

So I frantically press buttons on my key, but to no avail.

Eventually, I just put the key in the ignition, turned it over and the alarm stopped and the engine started.

I then turned the engine off and removed the key...and everything worked fine again.

So what caused it?

I have a theory, and being an Electrical Engineer, I think its plausible:

My theory is that being away from my car and not putting the key in the ignition wouldn't have charged the battery inside the key. Therefore the battery would have depleted and the key wasn't able to send a signal to disarm the car. So when i put the key in the ignition, the circuit was completed and the key battery was charged.

I am probably wrong, but I think it might be something to do with the battery.

Any other ideas?

It hasn't faulted since and its the first fault on my car since I bought it in March this year.

vz 914

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE HSV GTS , VZ UTE, VL GROUP A
my VZ ute did the exact same thing the other day , but i had only gone in to the shops for 10mins . I think i remember reading in the manual that the system can overload and it shuts down, buy starting the car it must reset everything.

f1tzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T Ute manual
Lol same thing happened to me a few weeks ago at about 4am. Scared the crap outta me because i didn't have the presence of mind to put the key in the ignition for about 5 mins. Neighbours didnt like me

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
the key lost sequence with the bcm for the 'rolling code security' when you re-inserted the key in the ignition it reset the codes,

the alarm went off because the alarm was active and using the key in the door lock tripped it as there was no referance signal if you like to cancel the alarm,

the batterys dont actually charge in the ignitions

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
not sure i didnt use my spare key for a month and it worked, then i went away for 4 days and it didnt work so it can be just random i guess

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Just make sure that you swap your keys around and use them for a month or two at a time. By doing so it will most likely help to reduce such incidence.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride