Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Diff noise " cyclic knock " a Holden Service Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

georgehifi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
This is a copy of emails I've sent to people who were having diff troubles, the problem should be made as public as possible, because Holden Workshop mechanic/manager at 2 very reputable large Sydney Holden Dealership said that they have had a few customers pay for the complete rebuild of their diffs, at $1000 just like they wanted to do to mine.
Luckily I found out with this Tech Bulletin from a friend, that they only needed to have done this job to the inner shafts, Loctited back in a 1.8hr job done with diff in car.
I have fix it myself in disgust even though it was reported within the warranty period by the previous owner to Holden Service, she was told there was nothing wrong that they could hear no problem. So she let it slide.

Detection of the noise and long term consequences:
It happens on coast down, overrun it's called (no accelerator applied) from 70kph down to 10kph it is a dull thumping sound, not very loud, in a wagon it is quite noticeable, in a sedan I suggest you listen with the split fold rear seat folded down, it can be said it sounds as if there is a bit of tar stuck to the tire, one Service Manager said to a customer that complained about it, that it was flat spotted tires from parking to long just to fob him off. This noise will get louder with time and eventually chew out the splines on the inner axles and put metal particles throughout the diff causing then for a complete diff overhaul, the reason is the original inner axles splines are slightly undersized (faulty) causing this noise, the new replacement up speced inner shafts and circlips are larger and a better fit with no slop, these should have been fitted to the diffs when new. I believe this should have been a national recall to have all inner shafts changed.

Cheers George

Attachments

• Cyclic Knock xx.jpg
    Cyclic Knock xx.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 2,086

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
How many threads do we need about this?

Reaper

georgehifi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Only one, in case you didn't notice the other one got deleted, because of negative posts by self proclaimed uninterested parties to this thread that have no care to help the owners that have this problem.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Only one, in case you didn't notice the other one got deleted, because of negative posts by self proclaimed uninterested parties to this thread that have no care to help the owners that have this problem.

I think it had more to do with your stupid claims and interpretations. Leave out the 2nd part of the title of this thread, stick to the facts, leave out the un-substaniated anonymous quotes and you should have a much better reception. That said, you have been told this on countless occasions but yet you still go down that path.

Reaper

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
george can you or matt8 pm me the info so i can have a look through it
i am interested in whats going on.

georgehifi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Rule 23 of this forum stoped me from doing this

Just Commodores - Announcements in Forum : VZ Holden Commodore (2004 - 2006)

They weren't anonymous quotes from other forums, they were posted but were deleted time again, along with the whole thread, twice, because of the negative posts from uninterested posters turning this thread into a s--t fight, who don't care for owners who have or are going to have this problem.

AttaBoy

WTF?!?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Here goes another one.........

Status
Not open for further replies.