Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Removing and Replacing Springs in a VZ

SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 A5
Hope this is the right section for this question...

From what I have read elsewhere on this site people have been removing wheels and shockers etc to change the rear springs.

I watched as a suspension place hoisted my car up and changed the rear springs in my SV6 without removing anything. Took him about 2 mins each side to change.

I now want to change them again, and was thinking about this as my plan of attack...

- Place wedge under both front wheels
- Remove handbrake
- Get trolley jack and jack rear of car as far into the air as possible
- Pull down on the top of the spring to make it become uncaptive
- Remove springs
- Replace with new springs
- Lower car
- Enjoy

Is this a far too simplistic approach?

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
yeap sounds like a good plan...if ur lucky the springs will actually fall out.. depending on how low your current springs are. fe2 can be pulled out and standard springs are the ones that take a bit of effort.

SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 A5
Current springs are Kings Springs SL's so pretty short.

Am I not missing anything with this plan though?

I think when the fitted these ones they may have used a bit of grease on the ends????? Would that be correct??? Why?

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
mmm never heard of using grease before. as long as you still have the rubber bump stop covers there shouldnt be any need for it...

but at the end of the day its a pretty simple job and shouldnt take you any longer then 15 mins..

oh btw one more thing you may need to consider, depending on how low you go. you might need a smaller jack.(eg the normal car one) i know with my car i have to jack it up a little bit with the normal jack, then once its high enough for the trolley jack i use that

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
Is this a far too simplistic approach?
yes, I fail to see the standard "consume alcohol" part!

Dont know about you but anytime Ive worked on a Commodore, whether mine or someone elses, theres been time allocated to unscrew bottle top, pop in stubby holder ... lol

Nah seriously that sounds about right from what Ive heard and observed. Not a very difficult process at all

Can I ask why are you changing them? Done their time? Or just going lower/higher??

SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 A5
Can I ask why are you changing them? Done their time? Or just going lower/higher??

I am just swapping over from SL's to SSL's to see how it looks. I like how it sits now, but I might like it more after I swap them.

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
fair enough!! I wanna see lots of before and after pictures :thumbsup:

vz 914

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE HSV GTS , VZ UTE, VL GROUP A
Dont super low springs require shorter shocks to stop this very problem ????(springs becoming loose when car is jacked up)

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
Dont super low springs require shorter shocks to stop this very problem ????(springs becoming loose when car is jacked up)

yeah shorter shocks would stop it. but also leaving the handbrake on whilst jacking the car up stops it as well.. had mine for over 2 years with out any dramas