Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What was so bad about the Adventra?

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
Just looking for opinions on why the Adventra was such a disaster? Was it poor build quality, lack of a market or too many other manufacturers flooding the market?

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
I dont know what the problem was/is - my wife really wants one. But have been told they are piles of poo. A mate has just purchased a black one and loves it.

Dunno. put it in the too hard basket for another 6 months.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Commodore on steroids, all wheel drive, 190kw high performance V6, heaps of extras and a VERY under-rated vehicle. Have a look at the crappy replacement (Captiva) smaller, fuel guzzler, dearer to service and so on.

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
I dont know what the problem was/is - my wife really wants one. But have been told they are piles of poo. A mate has just purchased a black one and loves it.

Dunno. put it in the too hard basket for another 6 months.

I've heard rumours that they were crap but no one could ever tell me exactly why, which is why i'm asking people here. I just figured they were a beefed up commodore.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
I've heard rumours that they were crap but no one could ever tell me exactly why, which is why i'm asking people here. I just figured they were a beefed up commodore.

Now that I know someone that has one - I'll sus his out after a few months see what the go is.

They look like a Calais International type interior and with the 5.7 @ 220 kws or was it 240 kws has plenty of go in it.

Maybe the drive line is a weak point - but if people were busting them we would have seen them bleeding all over the forums no doubt.

Paiste402

My workin on the car face
Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 EB Fairmont Ghia
i know someone who had one, they lived on a dirt road. They loved it to death but the mags kept shattering, over $1000 each time the broke and it happened several times a year. that was the only reason why they got rid of it, other than that they though it was incredible.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
they are a very good car, the crosstrac system was excellent quality and worked effectively,

i like the 'phat' look of them, they 'accelerate steer' pretty well like most awd's

the only bad thing is the awd sucks a bit of life from the alloytec, but it still gets up and boogies fine, v8 is totally different story - power to get everywhere,

although they seem lower than territories and klugars, most 4wd magazines rated the adventra better off road with stock potenza tyres (which arnt designed for this), and they where taken into situations there not really designed for, the reason, holden's chassis is flat under neath so it dosnt bottom out as much, has a strong front end and with the sump guard basically make a solid plate of steel from the front wheels forward

the territory has bits and pieces lower than the chassis floor, the more serious thing to note, the plastic fuel tank which is fully exposed, allthough it protected by the 1mm thick sheet around it:rolleyes:, also a fuel supply line thats sits lower than the tank - not much thought on fords behalf, the territory generally bottoms out

ive serviced a good amount of all these kinds of vehicles, thats why i take a good look into these things, just so i can tick off the ford fans at work at why holdens are better haha

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
I would love to know what makes them a pile of poo too

We have had a VZ SX6 Adventra since new, we had to pre-order it straight off the assembly line.

Ive heard the V8 are a fuel guzzler and so be it, but the V6 if treated right it fine.

I know people who drive the V6 and try to compare it to a V6 wagon, or SS, or Clubby. Their a family car built for towing. Not a serious off roader, although they do handle dirt tracks exceptionally well, but connect a 2 tonne boat to the tow bar and you notice the difference between towing with a wagon equivellant.

Its just like a wagon to drive, given it feels heavier. Plus I set the challenge for any Captiva owners out there - fit a double bed mattress plus dismantled bed head, slats and other bits into the rear of yours, because thats what we managed to fit into the wagon rear end.

For those tho say its poo or whatever I ask you, have you ever driven one properly, and by this I dont mean point to point in the quickest time, and have you ever tried to tow a heavy load with one.

The JCCC NSW (cruising members) know mines been out on a few cruises, it the best fun especially in the windy bits. We've had it on the dirt trails, we had it parked atop the hill on pit straight during the Bathurst 12 hour earlier this year.

IMHO as an adventra owner I think the V8 killed it because it was a gas guzzler, and the V6 wasnt given a decent enough run to prove its point.

As for fuel consumption it averages 10 to 12 litres per 100 kays peak hour, and up to about 15 l/100kays towing, which isnt bad when you compare that to my 9 to 11 litres on a VZ Acclaim sedan

Hell the AFP use them, this weekend we even saw one playing taxi ...

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
that coppers got that loaded up, or its a v8 under full steam haha, that must be a silver service taxi being and lx6/8 going by the wheels