Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HELP!!! Alloytec oil filter cap wont come off!!!! Also clutch starting to die!!

_SimoN__

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz ute missing 2 cylinders :(
Hey guys as title says i cant get my oil filter cap of my vz ute 175kw (i think).

I did a full service on it when i bought it :

Flushed the engine with additives then flushed it again with cheap oil then put some good oil in(forgot what i put in), flushed gearbox twice with cheap engine oil then put good stuff in and flushed diff once with diff oil and filled it up again, so i finished all that and was happy that all the hard stuff was done and only had one last easy thing to do, change the oil filter. No matter how hard i try i cant get it of even with 2 people fully pull on it!! i just dont want to do what that other bloke did and brake the bolt of lol.

The car has done 87 000 km (did the service at 85k) and im wondering if the oil filter has ever been changed? Does anyone know how i can get this of without breaking it? Or take it to a mechanic and see if they can do it?

I also think my clutch is starting to die. The previos owner was a female, and apparently only used it to put horse gear in the back and only towed the horses with a horse float a couple of times. But i had my doubts. Took a video the other night to get a better look at what its doing. Click here to view gay alloytec vid lol

Looks like the clutch is struggling to grip when i change to 3rd gear or is this normal?? i wasnt giving it full juice and its a manual not auto.

Thanks in advance

Simon.

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
just use more leverage. get a big pipe and put it over a breaker bar and it should come off. also try it when its cold so the metal has not it expanded. if that doesnt work warm up the motor and see if that works...

all else fails use a rattle gun

to answer your clutch question. standard ones are ****, everyone is in the same boat as you.

_SimoN__

Reaction score
Members Ride
just use more leverage. get a big pipe and put it over a breaker bar and it should come off. also try it when its cold so the metal has not it expanded. if that doesnt work warm up the motor and see if that works...

all else fails use a rattle gun

to answer your clutch question. standard ones are ****, everyone is in the same boat as you.

thanks for the reply.

yeh i been told to try that just gotta fine some piping lol

yeh figured that with the clutch.

dunno whether to change it or get a v8, if it can last a couple of months before i sell it, ill be happy.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Make sure that you have thr correct size socket (23mm I think from memory) and it unscrews in an anti-clockwise direction. From what you've indicated someone may have put Loctite on the threads.

_SimoN__

Reaction score
Members Ride
Make sure that you have thr correct size socket (23mm I think from memory) and it unscrews in an anti-clockwise direction. From what you've indicated someone may have put Loctite on the threads.

thnx 4 reply. so u recommend just keep trying till it comes loose or i break something?

Deltak

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Just a thought, but if you warm the engine, fit the correct socket and use a breaker (solid) bar to the socket.

Apply the torque to the bolt and hit (tap) the top of the socket (light to medium) with a hammer. The impact generally shocks the siezed connection and the twisting should loosen the threads.

It shoud not take too much force.

Aggro_VE

The Overseer
Reaction score
Members Ride
A lazy VE
Exactly! the oil filter cap shouldnt be on that tight period! if that's the case. They do have a torque setting when tightening it up, BUT i didn't have a torque wrench that went that low for the setting, so I marked a tiny mark on the cap and the housing so when I put it back on it matches up to the marks. :)

BANKS

DW I'm a Spray Painter!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ Ute
sounds stupid but see if you can tightern it up more...?

At our work on the planes, if we cant get screws/bolts out, we tighten them up a little bit more, then untighten them. Works everytime. Put a FARK load of inward pressure on it aswell.

_SimoN__

Reaction score
Members Ride
ah k thanks for all the suggestions and tip ill try them as soon as i can find the the correct socket! Someone must have moved it somewhere >< looks like ill be heading down to supercheap to get another :bang:

thanks again.

VZ_1989

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim
Hey guys, I'm having the exact same problem. Can't get my bloody filter off...

Is it Anti-Clockwise to get it off? I've tried both ways, and it won't budge.