Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SV6 Fuel Economy

kicker12

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Hey all...iv'e had my car for about a week now, and at the start i was getting 18l/100k but new that would improve once i filled the tank up etc.

So i filled it up to brim on Wednesday morning with premium Vortex fuel from safeway/caltex.
Since then i have driven locally, drove into tafe yesterday (up and back) which was pretty heavy city driving (about 40 k's worth total, id say 25 of those in heavy stop-start traffic) but drove very conservatively.
I haven't majorly flogged it but ive opened it up a few times but not for long and im getting just over 16l/100k's

I wouldn't call myself a rough driver or an over-accelerator but i thought i'd get better economy than 16 (especially with premium fuel)..And i know city drving is tough on the V6 but i wasn't expecting it to be that high. Just wondering what other Sv6 owners are getting, mine is an April 05 VZ SV6 with almost 82k on it.

Cheers, any feedback or suggestions would be great.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
check for voltage drop between the engine block and battery (negative) a service adviser that i know at holden was having high fuel consumption in a vz wagon and found excessive voltage drop, thus causing incorrect reading to the computer

seaney

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Do commodores have a knock sensor? I thought if you dont have a knock sensor it is useless to use higher octane fuel?

PhantomSV6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SV6
Yeah mines pretty high aswell. Probably around the 14 mark.

A decent tune should help a bit.

poweredbycng

Reaction score
If it's a high kay sample then check the exhaust gas oxygen sensor.

Regards,
Dave

ashbox

back in black
Reaction score
Members Ride
something black
i must be pussy footin mine around, i was on a cruise and i was givin it a bit and i avg 11.2lt/100km. Around town i'm down to 9.9.

CMA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Are these figures according to the trip computer? If they are mine reads about 12L/100kms all city driving

ashbox

back in black
Reaction score
Members Ride
something black
yeah off the computer, well mine is anyway