Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

thermostat replacement VZ SV6

Blue SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SV6
I seem to be having thermostat troubles (seems to be sticking or operating intermittently) and have purchased a new thermostat and housing.
I have been told that to replace the thermostat in my 2005 SV6 I need to remove the gearbox to get at it.
This seems like a lot of work to replace a simple part, particularly when it is so easy to get at in other vehicles.
Is this the case?
If it is the case, should I try to reverse flush with a hose as it may be be something stuck which is effecting the operation of the thermostat.

Farlig

Reaction score
Members Ride
Y-Series Clubsport
yup this is true, the alloytec is one shiet engine lol, change spark plugs requires removal of manifold, gearbox removed to do thermo, and shiet dual mass flywheel lol. not an easy engine to work on hahaha fun times.

Blue SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SV6
Thanks, I think. Glad I've got the alloytec!
I might try reverse flushing & see whether it improves.
The temp. gauge flickers between 1/4 & 1/2 but coolant in reservoir isn't overhot.
Sounds to me like thermo.
What do you think.

IPCOlsenVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ Commodore Equipe
I had a look in the service manual and you have to take off the manifold and a few ignition components and disconnect the engine harness to transmission harness but from what I’ve read, removal of the transmission is not required.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
Thanks, I think. Glad I've got the alloytec!
I might try reverse flushing & see whether it improves.
The temp. gauge flickers between 1/4 & 1/2 but coolant in reservoir isn't overhot.
Sounds to me like thermo.
What do you think.

my temp guage sits just above 1/4 as do all other vz's, goes up probly 1-2mm if sitting in traffic or a hot day,

I had a look in the service manual and you have to take off the manifold and a few ignition components and disconnect the engine harness to transmission harness but from what I’ve read, removal of the transmission is not required.

i dont believe you have to remove the transmission aswell, you should get it from working over the top of the engine,

oh and alloytecs definetly arnt the worst to work on, how about lifting the enigne up on a late model subaru to do spark plugs anyone?

jsd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais
My thermostat stuffed up the otherday all fixed now and not overheating anymore!

muzzcat

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
yeah mate i just did mine didnt take tranny out or manifold off just hade enough room took me bout 6 hours dont think i would do it again BIG JOB!!!!