Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tyer rubbing noise

Ewok

Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 GTR 360AWHP
Hey guys,

Got a question for yas. I recently had my 70k service done and the car has been running beautifully (as expected...) However!

When I got it back from teh garage and was driving home I noticed that the steering wheel was rather off centre, so I gave my mechanic a call and asked him what that was all about, so he told me they did a tyre rotation when they did the service. Fair enough, it's pretty SOP these days. So they swapped Front left with Rear Right and Front Right with Rear Left. *wtf?* I was under the impression you swapped out the front with the rears on the same side? Anyways.

I took me car down to see me mate at bobjayne north perth and got a wheel alignment done and straightened out the steering wheel, all good. However, I am getting a weird scrubbing/vibration feeling though the steering wheel and can hear it too, when I am at around 80kph or above, and it's predominantly when I am turning the wheel to the right. I have checked the mudflaps and guards and theres no obstruction there. It feels like it is coming from the front right. I am thinking it might be uneven tyre wear but I am not too sure. As far as I am concerned with tyre wear being uneven theres only 1 solution .............. BURNOUTS. ahem. However, any suggestions? Could the tyres be imbalanced also?

Cheers guys,

-Chris

PaulSV6

CHE Tuned 156.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6, MY10 VE SV6 Sportswagon & MY03 XC SRI
Only thing i can think of is uneven tyre wear, when they have done the rotation.
Did they do a balance?

Ewok

Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 GTR 360AWHP
Nah no balance done as yet, just alignment. Thinking of taking it back for balance though.

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
Might sound stupid, but are they directional tyres??

Ewok

Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 GTR 360AWHP
actually I think they may be. They fronts are Bridgestone Potenza's and the rear are Bridgestone Firehawks. I am pretty sure they are directional ........... Guess that means reverse the tyres front and rear? (as in across the body not the length, just for clarification. I had to scratch my head a little to figure out how to word it lol)

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
actually I think they may be. They fronts are Bridgestone Potenza's and the rear are Bridgestone Firehawks. I am pretty sure they are directional ........... Guess that means reverse the tyres front and rear? (as in across the body not the length, just for clarification. I had to scratch my head a little to figure out how to word it lol)

basically have the tyres with most tread on the front, and the same tyre on each axle, <thats not law with radial tyres, but i prefer to do it like that,

make sure the directional tyres are the right way round, the arrow on the tyre should be facing forward

PaulSV6

CHE Tuned 156.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6, MY10 VE SV6 Sportswagon & MY03 XC SRI
basically have the tyres with most tread on the front, and the same tyre on each axle, <thats not law with radial tyres, but i prefer to do it like that,

make sure the directional tyres are the right way round, the arrow on the tyre should be facing forward

See how ya go with that, if ya still get the noise u need a balance.

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR

Yeah, they should have an arrow on showing the right direction if they are, just make sure they are all pointing the right way.

Then find a new mechanic :p

Ewok

Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 GTR 360AWHP
I had a look at the tyres last night and there are no directional arrows I could see on the tyres. The Firehawks are the TZ100's and their on the front, the Potenza's are on the rear, and that's not where the noise/vibration is coming from. This is really bloody weird >.< Looks like it might well be a case of needing a balance. The tyres aren't scolloped or anything either, they are smooth and even, and theres no separation at all.

Leebo

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN
you know what are the tires cheap because sometimes if your driving on the cheapest of tyres they wear unevenly and in odd places and you suffer having to throw them away with lots or tread because the inside id bald or something.