Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vz 3.6 alloytech rough idle

swift85

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ EXECUTIVE 3.6 WAGON
My VZ Alloytech has a very rough idle,it is either idiling a bit low or there is some other problem.
I have just recently purcheased the car and on idle the car kind of trembles a little.Anyone with any ideas?

PaulSV6

CHE Tuned 156.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6, MY10 VE SV6 Sportswagon & MY03 XC SRI
When was the last time it was serviced?
Spark plugs, dirty fuel injectors....

swift85

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ EXECUTIVE 3.6 WAGON
It's got 110000k on clock service books are all stamped at regular intervals.
Next plug change is due at 120.000k.
Could it be a throttle body problem there is a bit of black residue around the flap area of TB?

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
yeah clean the throttle up and see if it makes a differance, i doubt it would, but yes some get a bit of a vibration that you feel in the bottom of the car, like it make you jiggle in the seat,

ive fixed this by adding 20rpm at idle, smooths it out beautifully

f1tzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T Ute manual
My ute got a massive lump on idle a while ago. Felt like it was running on 4 cylinders so i switched it off and then back on and it was gone. Hasn't been back and never logged any codes either

monaro327

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Skaife Senator & VY SS UTE
how rough are we talking what did you drive before the alloytec doesn't have the smoothest idle thats why it was bagged out on release compared to the ford i5 and aurion v6.

swift85

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ EXECUTIVE 3.6 WAGON
The funny thing is when the air cond is on and working it seems to be better it idles a little higher and is smoother at idle.
When i say idle is rough i mean that if you are sitting at lights you can feel the car kind of rocking gently.
I've had V8 motors before with monster cams that shake rattle and roll but that's a different story.The idle RPM on my VZ would be approx 550 do0es that sound right. i would have thought idle should be around the 600-650RPM.

monaro327

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Skaife Senator & VY SS UTE
idle when warm should be 650rpm.

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
My ute got a massive lump on idle a while ago. Felt like it was running on 4 cylinders so i switched it off and then back on and it was gone. Hasn't been back and never logged any codes either
Mine used to do that when I hadn't started it for 3 or 4 days. A quick tap on the accelerator or restart it and the problem was gone.