Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fan Amplifier VS Climate Control

Kevin

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 Series 2 VS V6 Commodore Sedan
Does anyone know how many amps the interior fan on a 1996 vs series 2 commodore with climate control pulls as I want to replace the Mosfet (semi conductor) component in the fan amplifier. You know, turn ignition off and fan keeps running problem. The fan amplifier cost $171 to buy and I believe the Mosfet is around $10. Jaycar has a 30amp Mosfet and I'm wandering if this will do the job and hang in for the long hall. :hit:

Last edited:

DamoVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina S1
Hey, its not a MOSFET but a 2SD1297 Darlington transistor. Its rated to 25A.

For people in Melbourne you can get these from G.B. Spares. 500 Spencer St West Melbourne for $12.
For people in Sydney see http://www.wagner.net.au/ They wanted $9 or so and could post it out to anywhere in Australia for about $8.

I replaced mine the other day. Fairly straight forward procedure. The only tricky bit is unsoldering the Transistor from the circuit board and removing it from the heatsink assembly.

myvscalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs calais 5.0L
Bringing this thread back to life because I need to say thankyou.

My VS Calais had the climate control "fan amp problem" having the high speed only by selecting #3 manually.
It's been like this for about 4 years :) yes I know but I kind of got used to the high fan speed. lol
After ringing holden for a price on a replacement unit and being qouted $165 I tried to locate a replacement from the wreckers......Boy that was a job on it's own. Only found one place on the other side of the city that had a possible?? working one and they wanted $75.
Then I came across this post. I rang G.B Telespares in Spencer street as quoted by DamoVS.
I asked them if they had a 2sd1297 Darlington transistor package and they said they have stock and they're $12.
So off I go grabbed one of these also bought a solder sucker as mine has gone walkabout.
Pulled out the fan speed amp, slowly pulled out the circuit board from one side to reveal the small phillips head screw that holds the transistor to the heat sink and removed the board and transistor. Grabbed the soldering iron and solder sucker, removed the old tranny got the new one out of the bag (which I noticed it was identical to the original "NEC D1297") soldered it in put some heat sink paste on the back of the tranny and secured it back into the heatsink. Put it back into the car, fired up the climate control and low and behold it's all working perfect again.
Total cost $12
Total saving $153
Now how cool is that? Felt good being able to fix it myself too!
I do recommend that you get a solder sucker but you can get it out without one but a bit more messing around. Also please remember to put some heat sink transfer paste on the new tranny.
I had some lying around, but there was probably enough on the original that I could have used.
Again thankyou DamoVS for pointing the way I really appreciate it.

Steve

A

anthonyc

Location of Fan Amplifier

Can someone please tell me where this speed amp PCB is located. VS STATEMAN?
VS FAN SPEED REMOVAL Advise would be helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:

KevinV

Kev
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Sv6 Commodore
VX Blower fan Control Amp.

On a VX Berlina the speed amp PCB is located behind the glove box and uses a 30A MJ11016. NPN DARLINGTON TRANSISTOR. Cost is $16.60 including postage from Wagner Electronics. Wagner Electronic Services The unit is white in the Photo. This forum Has helped Me. Thank You.

VX Fan Amp.jpg

RX25SE

Real cars are steel cars.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 Liberty 30R Spec B 6sp wagon
Thanks for the link KevinV.

Quite helpful.

jon_vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Caprice
Excellent Thread. Thanks heaps.
My Blower refused to turn off last weekend. With this thread it was an easy fix. Just to update - I picked up an NEC 2sd1297 (same type as came out of my car, VS Caprice) and a thermal cut-out from the local Wagner outlet in Ashfield, Sydney all for the princely sum of $12.00. I found an excellent guide to fault finding and replacing the electronics, including photos, at Fix the Fan Control Amplifier on your Infiniti Q45 or Nissan Maxima.
Oh yes, I almost forgot. Holden can supply a unit for $267 plus installation.

Jon

Last edited: