Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE 3-Way Front Doors

VEO55

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV UTE
Hey All,
I have been on this forum a long time now and feel it maybe time for me to contribute and share some ideas with you.
I have had been working on this in my mind for a long time before this happened. I wanted to install a 3-way setup in my ute, but keep it looking STOCK.
It wasn't 'til a customer asked me if it was possible, I told him what I had been thinking about and said I will give it a go... He had faith and was willing to be a guinea pig.
When i did the install i made sure to take pictures along the way for future reference... So here goes.

This is where is all starts... nothing new to anybody.
IMG_0059_zps423e21bb.jpg

Now with the door removed you can see the factory speaker.
IMG_0061_zpsa13fc646.jpg

With the speaker removed you can see the cut-out behind the factory speaker mount. On the ground you will notice the MDF speaker mount that i have made.
IMG_0062_zpse8c5275c.jpg

Looking at the back of the door card you can see plenty of room to accommodate the 6" and 4" comfortably.
IMG_0063_zpsfbb0faf2.jpg

This shows the new MDF mount screwed to the door.
IMG_0066_zpseb6ca424.jpg

Once marked and removed only a small piece needed to be cut. (On my own car i got away with out cutting at all)
IMG_0065_zpsd328055b.jpg

With it cut i could dummy fit the speakers.
IMG_0069_zpsc20c93fe.jpg

Time to dismantle the door card. This is time consuming and takes alot of care. It required melting the plastic tabs that hold the pieces together.
Once apart you have this, mark a grid and start drilling.
(I didn't get photos because once i started i didnt stop)
IMG_0074_zpsf8d1e300.jpg

The door piece was then covered in speaker grill cloth.
IMG_0084_zpsf16f1d1c.jpg

And the door was re-assembled. This view is from behind and shows all the melted plastic tabs.
IMG_0081_zpscf00d504.jpg

Now back together, doors are now have Dynamat inside and out. And MDF mounts are coated in fibreglass resin and painted black.
IMG_0075_zps96c7cd90.jpg

With speakers mounted.
IMG_0077_zpsf9aa1403.jpg

And finally door cards refitted.
IMG_0082_zpsf5c5c331.jpg

And thats it!!! Spot the difference?...no. Hear the difference... YES!!
Tweeters are mounted in the factory location to keep with the theme.

Thank you for reading.
Marty

VEO55

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV UTE
I thought i would post pictures of my car also.

4922ffea56ddbba40df7e08923575fdd.jpg

0aeafb58d9c848bdc1090ffa5988fbc4.jpg

560d4e1c6cac49d60393026fc94b67a3.jpg

3f320fc7da2bc0b4724fff47b1aa4cb3.jpg

4c481c3119f45329b69142a007279112.jpg

VEO55

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV UTE
How much difference does the dynamat make.......is it to keep the sound in the car?

Personally i would not upgrade my speakers without using Dynamat. The mid-bass gains are unbelievable
Even Dynamat on its own, running factory speakers the difference is very noticeable.
Effectively by applying Dynamat to a surface you are adding mass, this will stop panel resonance/distortion. Providing a solid enclosure for the driver to work in.
By reducing the ripple effect through the panel where the sound would normally be absorbed, the Dynamat helps contain the sound and contain it inside the cabin.

Hope this helps.

VEO55

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV UTE
So do you put the dyna mate behind the actual magnet of the speakers as well, also is it meant to be air tight where the dyna mat joins up, and also lol ........plenty questions. How do you stick it to the door?

No Problem, You apply it to the inner and outer door skin. The idea is to make it as air tight as possible, keep in mind lock cables need to pass through, and the door does need to still drain through the bottom.
And finally the Dynamat is made of an Aluminium sheet backed with a black butyl (like tar) and a peel off paper liner. The Dynamat is self adhesive, sometimes heat will help when applying to complex surfaces.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Aren't your vocals quite muffled with the mid-range speaker blocked by the door trim/card?

VEO55

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV UTE
Aren't your vocals quite muffled with the mid-range speaker blocked by the door trim/card?

No mate, they still come through clear and crisp. Ideally a clear path is always better.
Both drivers are sealed to the back of the door card, which helps direct it forwards and not get lost behind the panel.