Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX Calais Rear Speakers & Eurovox Head Unit

L

lmcdonald

Hey Do you know if the Eurovox Head unit connected to the rear speakers are set to only deal with Low level 'BASS'.

I have just replaced the factory speakers with MTX 150W speakers. They sound really good in the store where I bought them. Now I have installed them and hooked them up to a 4 channel amp, fed through a low level converter attached to the oringianl rear speaker wires.

My problem is that I only get low level muffled sound (which distorts the speakers).

Question: Does the VX Calais Rear speakers only get fed Low level bassy sound.?

Should I run the speakers though the wires of the door mounted ones??

veeque92

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman SeriesII 5.7
I have a WH 2002 Statesman and found that on the passenger side of the boot there is a small amp that runs the rear speakers. You will need to remove this.
In my car if you pull the passenger side carpet away in the boot there is a flat panel and behind that is the Amp. Hope this helps

L

lmcdonald

Thanks Heaps

Your absolutly right!!, I noticed that small little silver device mounted under the parcel shelf (when installing the new spearkers) and wondered what the hell is that for. First thing tomorrow, I'll remove it and let you know how it turns out. Cheers

veeque92

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman SeriesII 5.7
Mine is a black box about 15cm long, 12cm wide and 3.5cm high and actually looks like a minature amp.
Just so you remove the right thing heres a pic.

Attachments

• mini amp.jpg
    mini amp.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 1,444
L

lmcdonald

Found The AMP

Just to let you know I finally locted the AMP (matches the one in the above Pic. Thanks Man)

After Removing the AMP and figuring out which wires were the feed from the head unit, I wired them directly to the Low Level converter and then RCA's to my AMP. The Speakers sound Magic. (i've also connected a Sub and bridged it to the 3rd and 4th channel of my AMP) The Car is now pumping heaps better and sounds good keeping with the original head unit (Yep I can keep using thoes steering wheel controls)

That factory AMP I disconected must be set to power the factory speakers as mini SUBs (heavily under powered and should not be used with custom speakers)

Thanks for pointing me in the right Direction VEEQUE92!! :air:

Next Project: Now that have got my sytem all wired, I need mount all the gear used to look neat and tidy in the boot. Thinking of making my own custom carpeted wooden side panel to mount AMP on next to the SUB Passenger side.

gibbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Hilux 3.8l vs v6 & 4L60E
Does any one know if you can control the rear sub speakers? ie adjust levels from head unit or whatever?