Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS double DIN

Niggadore

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS Caprice V8. 1996 Proton satria.
Hey guys...
Just wondering if anyone had had succes in fabricating the center console in a VS/VR to accomodate a Double DIN headunit?
If not, would there be any pre fabricated facias that would accomodate double DIN?

Cheers.

rcnugget

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2 Exec
I know jb hifi have a huge book with pre fab facias maby go and ask them they could be helpful

SAV_117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
ive seen it done before it is possible i saw it in a vs on a cruise i went on ages ago

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Its not just the centre console that needs to be changed, there is a metal section in between the original head-unit mounting area and the "pocket". This will need to be removed and a few other things behind this to allow for depth to suit a double DIN head-unit.

apoc585

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Maloo
gday mate. i had a double din unit in my old VS ute. Brads custom trim installed it for me. he said he had to alter the aircon box that sits behind the headunit but thats all. other than that it fitted quite well. ive even got my old 2 din facia around here somewhere if you want it. not the mounting brackets but the outside bit. its trimmed in black vinyl.

DSCF0671.jpg

Luke0011

Car Audio Installer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina 2005
That looks great, but would look better if mounted a bit lower, although i have never fitted a double din in a vs you could get it lower but still fit flush without altering the aircon box.

apoc585

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Maloo
this is wat i got told so dunno if its true but..

as far as im aware the aircon box was at the bottom so any lower or further back would mean more adjustment of the aircon box.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
the fan is < shaped so it doesnt really allow to mount a double din in there with ease.. as apoc585 has done, it needs to be raised. unless you have 2x single din units, with a fold out screen at the top and dvd player where the pocket is.

apoc585

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Maloo
thats exactly wats in my new one. i'll be taking it out though. 2 single Dins is ok, but i dont want a dvd player or anything fancy... goin back to good ol single din for me :)

RoboticCherry-Coke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais S1
hey... niggadore did u end up getting that headunit it? i just bought a double din dvd player of a mate thinking i could get it to fit... boy was i wrong.. anyone else got some advice that will help make it work?