Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VP to VS Dash Conversion Wiring Help

Friction

Reaction score
Members Ride
Looking for a new Commodore
I have done several searches and could not anything that would help me, so I hope someone can.

I have 99.99% completed a VP to VS dash conversion with the exception of getting the instrument wiring to work. I have the wipers working on Low and High speed which is fine, the lights only work on normal beam without parkers. The following switches are as follows:

AC
2 Brown wires to Brown
Green with yellow stripe to Green with yellow stripe
Black to Black
Brown with white stripe to brown with white stripe

Hazards
Black to nothing
Brown with white stripe to nothing
Purple to Purple
Blue with white stripe to blue with white stripe
2 dark blue to dark blue
2 light blue to light blue
Orange with red stripe to orange with red stripe
Nothing to white with green stripe

Rear Demister
3 Black with brown stripe to black with brown stripe
Pink with brown stripe to pink with brown stripe
Grey with Black stripe to Grey with black stripe
Black to nothing
Nothing to 2 Black with white stripe
Nothing to White
Nothing to Orange with black stripe

Now the hazard switch works fine. The blinkers indicate and the hazard light shows in the cluster.
The AC is having problems as it was before the conversion, so I don't know if it is wired up correctly.
The rear demister shows up in the cluster but I have no idea if it is actually working. I can only assume that it is.
Blinkers no longer work whereas they did before I changed the above switches to the VS ones.

So can someone who knows something about electrics or has done this conversion before tell me if I have wired the switches up correctly and how to get my blinkers working again. I can only assume that all the wires must be used on the other switches to get the blinkers working. I would really appreciate some help asap as I hate driving without the blinkers working.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
I have done several searches and could not anything that would help me, so I hope someone can.

I have 99.99% completed a VP to VS dash conversion with the exception of getting the instrument wiring to work. I have the wipers working on Low and High speed which is fine, the lights only work on normal beam without parkers. The following switches are as follows:

AC
2 Brown wires to Brown
Green with yellow stripe to Green with yellow stripe
Black to Black

Hazards
Black to nothing
Brown with white stripe to nothing
Purple to Purple
Blue with white stripe to blue with white stripe
2 dark blue to dark blue
2 light blue to light blue
Orange with red stripe to orange with red stripe

Rear Demister
3 Black with brown stripe to black with brown stripe
Pink with brown stripe to pink with brown stripe
Grey with Black stripe to Grey with black stripe
Black to nothing
Nothing to 2 Black with white stripe
Nothing to White
Nothing to Orange with black stripe

Now the hazard switch works fine. The blinkers indicate and the hazard light shows in the cluster.
The AC is having problems as it was before the conversion, so I don't know if it is wired up correctly.
The rear demister shows up in the cluster but I have no idea if it is actually working. I can only assume that it is.
Blinkers no longer work whereas they did before I changed the above switches to the VS ones.

So can someone who knows something about electrics or has done this conversion before tell me if I have wired the switches up correctly and how to get my blinkers working again. I can only assume that all the wires must be used on the other switches to get the blinkers working. I would really appreciate some help asap as I hate driving without the blinkers working.

The blinkers are the blue wires, 1 dark the other light, going to the cluster I think.

The way to work it out is to write down the 3 plug pin outs on the back of the cluster. Compare them with each other.

Vt-Brrrlina

vp bt1 gts replica
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp bt1 5.0ltr full GTS kit
i put a vr dash in a vn once - what a prick of a job - they were both only low level cars so not as bad as it could have been - the ancillaries were easy blinkers, hazards etc... the hard ones were the headlights - we used the original PCBs for most things to work and just rewired em to the switches - when we got stuck i remember there was a write up on here some fellow did a good how to we referred to that

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
I did it on my vn but I used a r/h vr clubsport main and dash loom complete and just had to mod the wiring where it plugged into the ecm.......wiring to the radio and dash switches had to be lengthened to get to the antenna switches .I used a low series bcm and keyhead to suit and had to change the headlight wires a bit since the vr lights had a constant 12v positive and switched the negative and the vn switched the 12v + and had a constant neg....in the end everything on the car worked as it should. What type of main loom did you use? I have both vn/p and vr factory wiring diagrams so I am sure we can work out your dramas.

Last edited:

Friction

Reaction score
Members Ride
I used the existing VP loom.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Friction

Reaction score
Members Ride
Also, after wiring up those three switches my instrument illumination no longer works as well as the door light. The gear select illumination doesn't work either.

Friction

Reaction score
Members Ride
Anyone. This is the only car I have and I hate to drive it without indicators and hazards.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
Do you hear the flasher relay clicking when you operate the hazards? Brown with white stripe should be a 12v feed from fuse 14.It the wire in the hazard plug between the blue/white and the black wire.The other brown/white wire is for illumination of the switch and it is in the corner of the plug below the blue wire...the black wire is to complete the circuit to get the illumination of the switch to work..........maybe you have these brown/white wires connected the wrong way around?The rest of the connections should be correct. See diagram

Attachments

• haz plug.JPG
    haz plug.JPG
    12.9 KB · Views: 3,247

Friction

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for that mate. I added the 2 brown with white wires from the vs hazard switch to the original brown with white on my vp loom and the hazards and blinkers are both working fine. It still looks like I have to earth the ground wires to get the interior and dash illumination working?

Friction

Reaction score
Members Ride
Any idea on how to get my interior light and the instrument illumination working?