Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HID headlights

mkymus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Vacationer II
Yo I'm new to this!!
I have a VH Station wagon. I want to improve my lighting system (head lights) bought a pair of H4 55 watt BI-Xenon 4300 K. (the 4300K are a whiter light 3900L than the 6000K which are a blue/white 2900L (Lumen)) Question is are 55watt street legal I have looked up ADR rules but cant find any information.
All advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

bdj_007

Foose
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
2002 Holden VX Equipe SII
4300K is legal. anything above that is illegal. I purchase philips 'power2night' h4's for the vx, fully adr compliant ;) and they are 4300k.

BANKS

DW I'm a Spray Painter!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ Ute
Did you buy an actual HID kit or just replacement globes? Like these:

philips_vision_plus.jpg

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
ok, this is the EXACT position of the law WRT aftermarket HID:

a car can only be road legal in Aus if the headlights are manufacturers' spec.
So, if it came with convensional bulbs, no HID is allowed. This is because in the Govts view: a HID lighting system is far more bright and needs to be insured to angle downwards more than normal lights, that is, self leveling headlights and washers.

Unfortunately there are no exceptions......

Also another point to make, HID lights require a different reflector, commonly called a projector, than standard. The reflecting surface will need to be changed as the standard was for convensional bulbs and will not be optimum for HID.

Still thinking about buying a HID kit regardless.....

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
ok, this is the EXACT position of the law WRT aftermarket HID:

a car can only be road legal in Aus if the headlights are manufacturers' spec.
So, if it came with convensional bulbs, no HID is allowed. This is because in the Govts view: a HID lighting system is far more bright and needs to be insured to angle downwards more than normal lights, that is, self leveling headlights and washers.

Unfortunately there are no exceptions......

Also another point to make, HID lights require a different reflector, commonly called a projector, than standard. The reflecting surface will need to be changed as the standard was for convensional bulbs and will not be optimum for HID.

Still thinking about buying a HID kit regardless.....

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
4300K is legal. anything above that is illegal. I purchase philips 'power2night' h4's for the vx, fully adr compliant ;) and they are 4300k.

K is not the issue. The k is the colour temperature, not the brightness... Going too high in colour temperature will result in a blue then purple tinge, which can be illegal.

mkymus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Vacationer II
Hi In answer to banks I have bought a complete kit direct out of China.
And to every one else that answered me thanks for your advice. I have now fitted the HID's they are no higher than the original 100/90 halogen lights I had in the only a lot whiter.

BANKS

DW I'm a Spray Painter!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ Ute
Hi In answer to banks I have bought a complete kit direct out of China.
And to every one else that answered me thanks for your advice. I have now fitted the HID's they are no higher than the original 100/90 halogen lights I had in the only a lot whiter.

Sweet, all right first of all HID kits are in fact illegal on cars that don’t come with them from factory. The reason for this is because there are a number of devices that must be used with the HID for safety reasons.

1 is an autoleveler - when you increase or decrease your pitch angle the headlights adjust accordingly. aka go over a hill they dip down so you don’t blind people driving over the hill.

Chrysler 300c Auto-leveling HID lights

The 2nd is a washer system to stop dust and bugs changing the beam of light.

BMW headlight washers

A VH or a VE even don’t have this set up. No offence but your HID's will most likely be blinding other drivers as you drive past. I would just recommend putting in some Philips blue vision bulbs.

The only lights that can sort of get away with it are th projector style headlights like in the VY/VZ Berlina / HSV range and above. These arnt 100% ideal but becuase of the style of headlight being focused its not as bad.

SSHeadLight.jpg

mkymus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Vacationer II
Yo Banks
I appreciate your feedback however I am at a bit of a loss. I am not disagreeing with your comments. When I had the 100/90 halogens in when I came over a hill surely I would have blinded on coming drivers anyway. The only difference I can see is that these lights are a very bright white light rather than a white with a blue tinge. No offence taken on your opinion that is why I joined this forum for advice. thanks

BANKS

DW I'm a Spray Painter!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ Ute
Nar mate thats cool :)

The brightness difference between the HID's and the halogens should be huge. I agree with going over hills blinds the drivers anyways but because of the increased intensity of the HID's thats why all tha extra gear must be in the headlight. The only thing i dont really agree with is the washer system. I think that is a waste of time. I can see why the autoleveler is in there but half the time they arnt quick enough to react to the driving conditions and you get blinded anyways.

Do you have a before and after shot of the lights? Also park facing a wall and take a photo of the beam pattern for me, Also a link to the HID's you bought of ebay?