Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Whats better? Ecotec or Alloytec V6????

mattathm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS
Just tossing up getting a VY V6 wagon... but cant really decide if paying the extra money for a VZ to get the alloytech engine is worth the $$$$

Is the alloytec wayyyyyy better than the Eco?

Does less things go wrong with it?

Do they have heaps more power and burn 1/2 the gas...?

Whats easier to mod?, and which one gets the more HP out of the same mods?

:blah blah::blah blah::blah blah::blah blah::blah blah::blah blah:

Any thoughts welcomed.
Hope I havent opened up an ECO vs ALLOY fight on here now...LOL:boxing:

Last edited:

89vn_Jai

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN Exectutive
Alloytec: Definately smoother, more economical. More powerful. More expensive to work on.
But it is also just that little bit more a 'throw away' engine like most cars are nowadays. (as in cheaper to replace then repair).
Ecotec(v6): In my opinion more reliable both from new, and down the track with more km's. Less powerful. Easy to work on.
I have never owned either motor but I am an apprentice mechanic and have driven and worked on plenty of both.
EDIT: In conclusion I would way prefer ecotec even for modding. But I don't have much personal expreiance to do with extensively modding either motor so I would talk to people who have. :)

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
My boss purchased a 2006 VZ Berlina with the Alloytec and in his opinion, the Ecotec has more power. Also in his own words "it feels more gutless then the Ecotec".

I myself would have to go with Ecotec as well because I have found them easier and cheaper to work on.

HoldenOn

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS equip, 4.2L stroker on its way.
I've heard that the alloy tech is a bit gutless and lacks low down torque, making the ecotec feel allot better to drive even though it may have less KW up high.

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
the alloytec is a double overhead cam engine though so down the track getting more power out of it will be easier (i.e BOOST)

Whitesack07

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S
I've owned a Vz s ute an I've now got a vx s pack, to down low vx feels better, but in higher rev range alloytec was better, both manual in the 5 and 6 speed, the alloytec was good on fuel, but the vx seems to be going better, could just be me, and parts for ecotec are so cheap an motors are cheap as to replace, when the alloytec is a pain to replace things, my ecotec has 240 an is running fine, just service every 5k an you should be good, an just look after the motor

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
I've owned an Ecotec and I currently have an Alloytec. Personal opinion, I prefer the Ecotec.

Ecotec is easier to work on.
Alloytec is more responsive, more powerful (and more powerful low down) and has longer service cycles.
Ecotec has more head room for mods.
Alloytec is smoother and is matched to better gearboxes and better tuned 4-speeds if they have the old ones.
Ecotec has proven longevity.
Alloytec is better on fuel generally.

Essentially the Ecotec is a bit of a dinosaur, but has proven itself time and again. The Alloytec is the new upstart that's looking to prove itself.

In your specific example, I would go for the VY with a lowish km Ecotec and have some fun.