Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ask The Copper

fabz

I Can Do Science Me
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown V6 VT commodore 5 speed
Yeah i have for you Sir Mr Nice Police Man ...........
Is it illegal to drink a can of drink while driving even if its not booze? i once got pulled up for drinkin a can ok cake and the copper told me it was illegal as it "obstrucked my view" true yes but he said i could get done drink driving?? Also whats the law on neon lights?? inside yes and out side no or vice versa??? Cheers think this will be a great thread!!

Wombat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX-II Lumina Sedan
Something I've always wanted to know...
Now, let me start by saying I've ridden Harleys, I like Harleys, but would never actually own one myself...way too expensive and overpriced, even second hand...but it's got two wheels and a motor, so it must be interesting... :w00t: :D

Here goes: Why is it illegal for cars, trucks, buses, forklifts, tractors, or just about anything else, to exceed decibel limits and modify exhaust systems to allow excess noise...it is even worse to remove completely an exhaust system.
However, why can almost eveyr Harley around ride around with impunity with absolutley NO exhaust system, simply straight pipes with no mufflers at all?
If I did that with my VS Berlina, my Rodeo ute, my BMW motorbike, I wouldn't get twenty meters, but if it was a Harley? Hey, go for it. Why why why? A hundred thousand guys riding other makes of bike than Harley Davidsons want to know!!!

Neons? They aren't illegal to fit to your car up here in Queensland, but they are illegal to use while driving. They come under the cover-all heading of distracting other drivers. I know of a guy some years back with a very nice HX ute with a polished wood tray, big mags, metal flake paint, and a pair of chrome exhaust stacks, one each side of the rear of the cab, like smaller versions of the chrome stacks with perforated covers you see on semi's. Looked fantastic, until he was ordered off the road because they posed a "distraction". :bang:

But please answer about the Harley pipes....the noise laws are pretty much the same everywhere, as are the Australian Design Rules regarding noise levels...

Though why you'd want to make a perfectly good bike sound like a fifty year old Massey Fergusen with a rusted out exhaust is beyond me.... :thumbsup: :D

gopher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
Wombat said:
However, why can almost eveyr Harley around ride around with impunity with absolutley NO exhaust system, simply straight pipes with no mufflers at all?

because they're the favoured mode of transport for bikie gangs & most of them are fearsome looking mother****ers
so better not to mess with them:shutup:

newo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Yeah, was thinking that! They belong to Hell's Angels or something hey? :p From what my driving instructor told me two years ago, in Vic, that any lights, other than driving lights factory fitted (or some driving lights fitted otherwise) were the only legal thing allowed. Neons, as stated are illegal when turned on, but can be fitted so long as they are off while moving. I guess maybe now though police may see it as a waste of time fining people because many a people have them?

Misaprop

black betty
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
My question: I am a green P plater in NSW, my speed limit is 100 on NSW roads, but in Vic P platers are allowed to drive up to the speed limit... Does this mean that when I enter Victoria, I can drive at 110 on the freeway?

camvyss

Doof, Doof, Doof
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY2 SS 5.7L A4
Hey Spyper I'm going to hesitate a guess that you reside in NSW, seeing as I live in QLD I can't assure you this information is true for your state.

I'm not aware of any legal issues arising from owning a SS while on P plates, however I believe there was talk of introducing a clause regarding young drivers owning/driving high powered cars, but I don't beleive this is in yet.

Your main problem will possibly arise from Insurance premiums being rather high.

Again this information is probably not correct seeing as NSW has many laws that differ immensely from all other states.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Spyper said:
From some of the posts I've read up to this point I don't disagree with minux, but let's just see how helpful this guy can be before making harsh judgements.

Now for my question.. as far as power : weight ratio goes for P-Platers, what is the limit? Is a VY-SS legal for a P-Plater? Or am I gonna have to wait another 6 months til I have my full license (and enough cash)?

If you are in victoria, the SS is above power to weight ratio. Also, insurance in itself is a nightmare for drivers under 25 :(

fourstar82

Head Chef Honcho
Reaction score
Website
s31.photobucket.com
Members Ride
VYII 25th Anniversary, 2007 VE Calais
yeah but hes also on a NSW lisence meaning he can still drive that vehicle perfectly legally, as long as he got his P's before the new laws concerning Probationary Licencing (ie what they can and can't drive, they're a load of crap as far as I'm concerned) came into effect in NSW earlier this year.

L8N

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS COMMODORE
Serving Police Member, is it true that if you are pulled over by a cop and you havnt done anything wrong that they cant ask to see your licence? they can ask if you have it on you but they cant actually ask to see it.