Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Trying to get my car passed vehicle inspection, any tips?

NO HOON

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV
Went in for an inspection today to put the car in my name, got this:

Tint

Side front: 22%
Rear of Drives: 22%
Back: 22%

Taillights need to be put back to manufacture

Ride height

Front: 326
Rear: 348

Needs to be:

Front: 354
Rear: 344

They measure from the center of the wheel cover to the top of the guard.

My comments: %#ck regency. I drove this car from NSW after getting a stateroads check saying it's perfectly fine (NSW laws) and now it's defect-able (SA laws). Tint was over there, height was fine over there, lights were too. I honestly don't think it's really that dark, you can just notice it inside, the outside isn't that bad i didn't think either. Haven't had any problems with scraping, other than my driveway. Road humps are fine.

Anyway, anyone know how i could temporarily fix these issue without spending too much? I might just have to bite the bullet on the tint; get it removed and buy the darkest legal after.

timbo888

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
cheapest would be to borrow someones standard gear then swap back after, next would be wreckers/ebay.

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
I had to do the same with my vn's ride height. As Tim said get some stock springs, dirt cheap. Then chuck in your other springs after you pass if you want.

Tint professor where having some weird trade in an old tint and get a discount thing in Victoria. Don't know weather it's the same in SA. Have no idea how they benefit from that deal lol! but could be worth a look.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Here's a novel idea - make the thing ###en legal :bang:. There are a shitload of benefits such as insurance coverage that actually covers you and not shitting yourself every time you see a police car.

NO HOON

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV
cheapest would be to borrow someones standard gear then swap back after, next would be wreckers/ebay.

I MIGHT have found a way around the suspension part:

The stock height for my car is:

FRONT: 354
REAR: 344

Source: http://www.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0015/15261/Passenger-Car-Track-list-May-2012.pdf

It states in the SA GOV suspension modification page (sa.gov.au - Suspension modification) that the car has to be at least 100mm off the ground between any part of the car, mine is way below that BUT, i have low profile tyres on my car (check car thread in sig). What i'm planning to do is put my old tyres on there: 17inch VZ Calais rims which are stock and see if that increases the lift off of the ground, hopefully to legal height.

With the Center of the wheel cover to the top of the arch measurement (F:354,R:344), supposedly the car can be lowered no more than 1/3rd of it's factory height (1/3rd= F:236 R:230) in saying that mine's F:326 and R: 348, so should that be fine already?

inb4 i went full potato

NO HOON

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV
Here's a novel idea - make the thing ###en legal :bang:. There are a shitload of benefits such as insurance coverage that actually covers you and not shitting yourself every time you see a police car.

I have a great insurance policy at the moment, it's cheaper than my V6 and is still the same policy :)

NO HOON

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV
I had to do the same with my vn's ride height. As Tim said get some stock springs, dirt cheap. Then chuck in your other springs after you pass if you want.

Tint professor where having some weird trade in an old tint and get a discount thing in Victoria. Don't know weather it's the same in SA. Have no idea how they benefit from that deal lol! but could be worth a look.

Thanks for the info. I will see how i go with my current idea for the ride height.

I was planning to just get the tint ripped off and put the darkest legal on.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I have a great insurance policy at the moment, it's cheaper than my V6 and is still the same policy :)

Try to claim on it if you have an at fault smash where your "mods" are deemed to significantly contribute to the crash :thumbsup:

I MIGHT have found a way around the suspension part:

The stock height for my car is:

FRONT: 354
REAR: 344

Source: http://www.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0015/15261/Passenger-Car-Track-list-May-2012.pdf

It states in the SA GOV suspension modification page (sa.gov.au - Suspension modification) that the car has to be at least 100mm off the ground between any part of the car, mine is way below that BUT, i have low profile tyres on my car (check car thread in sig). What i'm planning to do is put my old tyres on there: 17inch VZ Calais rims which are stock and see if that increases the lift off of the ground, hopefully to legal height.

With the Center of the wheel cover to the top of the arch measurement (F:354,R:344), supposedly the car can be lowered no more than 1/3rd of it's factory height (1/3rd= F:236 R:230) in saying that mine's F:326 and R: 348, so should that be fine already?

inb4 i went full potato

Don't forget this part of the regulations that you seem to have missed:

either front or rear, the suspension travel must not be reduced by more than one third of that specified by the vehicle manufacturer

This bit is the part that stuffs most lowered cars ;)

Last edited:

NO HOON

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV
Try to claim on it if you have an at fault smash where your "mods" are deemed to significantly contribute to the crash :thumbsup:

'Contribute' not cause. It's caused by the driver, not by the mods.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
What i'm planning to do is put my old tyres on there: 17inch VZ Calais rims which are stock and see if that increases the lift off of the ground, hopefully to legal height.

are you high?