Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

tailshaft centre bearings?

cruzncommo

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5spd
anyone know how to replace the centre bearing on my tailshaft? do i REALLY need a press? its a VP btw

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
Don't think u need a press.....when we did the one in my VH everything seemed to come out alright. We took the tailshaft out, undone the bolts in the middle and split the shaft, then all the other bits seemed to come off ok, rekon there was a few circlips, thats about it I rekon.....it was a few years ago so not 100% sure.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Make sure you mark every thing when you take it apart to get it all back in exactly the same place or it will vibrate. You have 6 allen bolts to separate the 2 halves of the tail shaft. There is a circlip that holds the CV joint on the shaft. Remember to mark the position on the spline. Then the center bearing comes off. The only effort required is to prise off the little metal disc that acts as a stone guard. Refitting it will require a piece of metal tube to get it on straight, or the center will stretch if you just hit it on with a hammer and then it will rattle.

cruzncommo

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5spd
cheers mate, ill im going for goal next weekend :D